cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new phone sim issue

4merc22
Visitor

the ee website says that all google pixels are unlocked from ee services

i bought a new google pixel 8 off of backmarket a couple of days ago and it seems to work perfectly, prior to that i was using an iphone 11 with a lycamobile card (physical). when i put my physical lyca sim card into my new google pixel theres a few problems

on the pixel, the network comes up as EE (and i can only rename this, not change the network provider) even though my sim is lycamobile. It also says i have a plan of 2gb? my lyca mobile plan is 50gb so im confused where this came from. im concerned my phone may still be linked to EE but using the EE unlock your device page, it says my IMEI is already unlocked and is able to use any service. If this is so, why does my network come up as EE and with the wrong data plan? Also, on the lycamobile end, I cant login to the lycamobile app on the google pixel 

3 REPLIES 3
infinitywaiter
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

As you state that you brought the phone off the blackmarket and you are using a third parties sim card, you are not an EE customer so you would not get any help from EE directly.

You are correct that Google Pixel phones brought from EE are unlocked - Unlock EE Phone

Is my device locked?
We've been selling our devices unlocked lately, but if you bought yours from us a while ago - it might be "locked" to EE. This means it won't work with another mobile network's SIM card.

No matter when you bought them - these devices are already unlocked:

All Google Pixel devices
All Oppo devices
All OnePlus devices

Lyca Mobile use EE.

As stated from elsewhere as not supposed to post outside links:

Lycamobile O2 to EE network switch: Here’s what you need to know if you’re a customer
Last updated: 6th Aug 2023

As a Lycamobile customer, you’ll probably be aware that the operator has recently switched from the O2 network over to EE.

But what does this mean, exactly?

Well, as a result of the switch, you may find your mobile connection affected. Also, similar to the situation with Plusnet Mobile closing, you could be better off switching to a different network entirely.

How many customers are affected?
Currently, Lycamobile has over 16 million customers worldwide.

In the UK, all Lycamobile customers can expect to be automatically switched from the O2 network over to EE. If you’re still on the O2 side, this will change in due course.

Unhappy about the change? Here’s what you can do
If you're unhappy about Lycamobile switching from O2 to the EE network, you should be able to change providers without paying a penalty fee.

This depends on your current Lycamobile plan:

Pay As You Go or 30-day rolling contract
You can switch to a new provider penalty-free at any time.

If you’re on a rolling contract, you’ll need to cancel your recurring payments or risk being charged for a service you no longer use.

Cancel your contract online via your 'My Lycamobile' account. Alternatively, dial *190# and press 1 to confirm the cancellation.

If you’re a Pay As You Go customer, simply run down your credit and turn off 'auto top up' (if you use it). Then, simply stop using the SIM or port it to your new mobile provider.

Remember, switching partway through a 30-day contract or Pay As You Go bundle means you'll lose any unused days and won't get a refund.

Three-, six- or 12-month plan
If you switch before your prepaid period finishes, you’ll be unlikely to get a refund. It may make more sense to stick with your existing plan until it runs out.

However, Ofcom’s mobile coverage obligations do state that if you’re unhappy with your service from Lycamobile, you should follow their complaints procedure in the first instance. This only applies if your phone stops working as a result of the switch and connectivity isn’t restored within a reasonable time.

If the problem remains unresolved after eight weeks, you should contact the Communication Ombudsman to complain and ask for advice.

How might the change affect you?
Although EE does have a positive track record when it comes to mobile service, you may have chosen Lycamobile specifically because it used O2’s network.

Depending on where you live, your network connectivity may be impacted and affect your day-to-day usage.

If this applies to you, then switching mobile providers could be the answer.

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.
infinitywaiter
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

To add to my previous post, your issue here is not EE related and shouldn't be posted on this EE Community Forum.

Your issue is with Lyca Mobile as you have brought their own product, just because they use the EE network it doesn't mean that the fault lies with EE.

Therefore you need to be contacting Lyca Mobile and their own customer service to sort out your issue

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.
bristolian
Legend
Legend

@4merc22 wrote:

when i put my physical lyca sim card into my new google pixel theres a few problems

Your service is coming from Lycamobile, and you should contact them for any queries.