Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Back To Original Number To Change Contracts

IanFromHants
Investigator
Investigator

Morning all,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question.

I had a personal EE mobile number.

My boss wanted me to have a business phone and I wanted keep my original personal number to save having two phones, so he set me up with a contract (now expired and running until cancelled or otherwise).

When people call my original phone number, the phone rings, which is fine and dandy, however, when I look at the phone itself, it shows me the business number, that I ported from, and not my personal one.

I am now wanting to get rid of the business phone/number, and go back to my original personal number, but also switch to O2 for this one, but i'm worried that as the sim number showing in the phone is the business one, my own personal number will be totally lost.

How do I approach EE to get this sorted?

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @IanFromHants 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

If you text NUMBER to 150, which number shows in the reply? 

Did you transfer your personal number recently? 

Leanne 🙂

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@IanFromHants wrote:

My boss wanted me to have a business phone and I wanted keep my original personal number to save having two phones, so he set me up with a contract

From the rest of your description it looks like you allowed your boss to port your EE personal no. to a firm's business no. In which case it cancelled your EE contract & relinquished your personal no. for good.

Sorry, I misinterpreted it 1st time around.

From the rest of your description it looks like you allowed your boss to port your EE personal no. to a firm's business no. In which case it cancelled your EE contract & but kept your personal no. with the firm. The handset itself is reporting the original business no. but that doesn't matter.

Which network is your firm, & therefore your no., on?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi Leanne,

I've text 150 but I just get a reply with lots of information, links etc.  Doesn't say it's from any number

The number itself was transferred over a year ago, when the boss took me to the shop to obtain the works mobile

Thanks for the reply XRaySpeX.

I'm hoping but not sure that's the case, because everyone calls my old personal number still and that's the one I give out to everyone  and they use.

It just appears that the sim in the phone seems to be holding the new works number, which is the worrying bit

If you're on the business no. & it's not on EE, texting 150 won't be texting EE.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

This is on an EE network, albeit, like you said, a business one.

I am likely going to switch to a personal use number on O2 as I work from home mostly these days and the reception is better for that provider.

I'm hoping that EE will release that number back to me

bristolian
Legend
Legend

@IanFromHants wrote:

My boss wanted me to have a business phone and I wanted keep my original personal number to save having two phones, so he set me up with a contract (now expired and running until cancelled or otherwise).

This appears to mean your personal number was transferred to the business account - and is thus no longer your number. Legal ownership now lies with your employer, and the transferred/ported number has replaced the previous one.

The rest of your post is a little confusing, given that a SIM can only have one number active on it at any given time. Some phones have an option within the "SIM status" menu which displays the number active on a SIM when it was first inserted, regardless of any subsequent changes - this is purely cosmetic.

Is the business line with EE, or another operator?

It's not for EE to release the no, to you, but your firm. They now own the no., not you.