cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My old BT Mobile SIM is still inactive

the-gavnor
Investigator
Investigator

My elderly mother has been in hospital for around 6 weeks and, last Friday, it was clear her BT Mobile service was inactive.  After digging about amongst correspondence, it became clear that her existing direct debit arrangement with BT would not automatically roll-over for the new EE platform, and that she was required to settle her existing monthly charge separately.

Since she had not been aware of this, the cut-off date was missed and so the SIM became inactive.

The correspondence advised that the quickest way to turn the SIM back on was to pay over their website but, with the SIM being inactive, I could not link the phone to her account as any passcode which was automatically fired back wouldn't be received.

So I ended up paying two months worth of charges (ie more than clearing the outstanding debt) using my own handset and using the keys to type in the bank details.  My banking app showed the payment to have gone through almost immediately but that was Monday and the SIM is still inactive.

Any suggestions? 

Thank you in anticipation.

7 REPLIES 7
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @the-gavnor 

Welcome to the community. I'm really sorry to hear that your Mother has been unwell in hospital.

Is your phone on EE too? Do you know that the payment was definitely made against your mother's account, and not your own?

Chris

the-gavnor
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, thanks for the kind words.

My mum is/was a BT Mobile customer and has been migrated over to EE with a new EE account.  Her handset was a BT branded product.

The only account details I have are for this new account so this is the one I paid against.  I don't have a separate EE account of my own as my handset is provided by my employer and is on a business contract which I don't have access to.

Christopher_G

OK, thanks for clearing that up, @the-gavnor 

Do you have your Mum's phone while she's in hospital, or does she have it? The ideal situation would be for her to call whilst she's with you to verify the account and that you can talk on her behalf, but I realise that it may be difficult under your current circumstances. Do you think it'll be possible?

Chris

the-gavnor
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Christopher, thanks but we seem to be talking at cross-purposes.  Whilst she does have the phone, the SIM is inactive so I'm not sure why you think she'd be able to call from it.

Thanks.

Christopher_G

I was wondering if you could call us from your phone, whilst she's there with you, @the-gavnor? I should have maybe phrased it a little better.

Chris

Ah, apologies Chris.  I understand.
Between what hours are your lines open for enquiries?  We are separated by 85 miles and two hours of a drive, and I may not see her next until late afternoon tomorrow.

Many thanks.

David
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hi @the-gavnor 

If your mum has moved from BT to EE has she inserted her EE sim they would of sent her in the post ?