cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay as you go on new nano SIM

ellakap
Explorer

I have used a cheap brick phone with a pay and go SIM for years - it was a T-Mobile phone and SIM and my provider later switched to EE. I just purchased a SIM free iPhone SE 2022 but my old SIM card does not fit in the device and I need to purchase a nano SIM. I would like to be able to use my old number on the new SIM card, and I would need to continue on pay as you go as I do not make texts or calls very often.

However, it seems that all of the pay and go deals offered are subscription packs where you would need to pay a certain amount each month. The lowest available, a £10 subscription, is far more than I would usually spend per month (which is usually less than £1).

Is there a pay as you go nano SIM available where I can just top-up whenever I need to?

I have read that a solution is to purchase the £10 subscription pack and then text STOP PACK to 150, but then when the month is over would I lose whatever remaining credit I had?

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@ellakap : No, you've discovered the right way to do it. By texting STOP PACK to 150 before you top-up you prevent the pre-primed pack being bought & you can use the SIM for calls & texts but not data as normal PAYG at standard per-unit rates paid for out of your standing PAYG credit balance.

To save the SIM going into hibernation due to lack of use, just remember within every 179 days (~ 6 months) to make a chargeable action like making a chargeable call or text, topping up or buying a Pack or Add-on, not just using your mins, texts or data from any Pack or Add-on you might have.

To keep your no. you will need to call CS to transfer it to your new SIM.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi, thank you. Would I need to be able to use my old SIM while transferring my number to a new SIM? I accidentally broke my old SIM card while trying to see if I could pop out the chip to fit it into the new phone.

No.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)