cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of roaming rules?

kernowkrew
Contributor
Contributor

So, moved from UK to EU 18 months ago and changed my number to PAYG, set up roaming and since abroad have topped it up for occasional listens to answer machine messages (so can clear them and remove notifications)

Tried to do this today but can't make calls or texts, roaming basically switched off

Called customer services and were told that could put roaming on for 7 days for £10.... what?!

The best bit is when I said that I haven't had this problem for the last 18 months I got told "tech aren't sure how you could have been accessing it"

Of course when I then tried to call answer phone from different device I have no idea what my PIN is....

SIGH......

8 REPLIES 8
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @kernowkrew

Welcome back to the EE Community. 

Do you have credit on your account when trying to make calls or listen to voicemails?

It costs 70p a minute and 30p a text to use your device in the EE Europe zone without an add-on. 

All pay as you go roaming information can be found HERE.

Katie

Hi,

Yes, I have credit on my phone, I am not doing anything differently to what I have done over the last 18 months, but it appears my roaming has been turned off and now EE want £10 to turn it on for 7 days....

Katie_B

Are you able to try manually searching and connecting to another available network @kernowkrew?

Katie

@kernowkrew  that £10 for seven days is to use a pack allowance when abroad if you are just using credit on the account then you don’t need to purchase any add on as you be charged per call/text. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you just bought a pack after not having 1 for the past 18 months? The £10 7-day roaming add-on is for using your pack in EU. W/out a pack you wouldn't need it as you just pay individually for each call or text.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
kernowkrew
Contributor
Contributor

I have credit,  nothing has changed from my end in last 18 months. Happy to use my credit to just listen and clear answer machine messages.

I felt sorry for the customer service woman I spoke to this morning,  she told me she's new. Not her fault if not trained properly though.

Anyway, just don't know why suddenly unable to make calls\texts. 

Leanne_T

Morning @kernowkrew 

To get this looked into in more detail to see why you are unable to make calls and send texts, please try calling us again. 

Leanne.

kernowkrew
Contributor
Contributor

I called back and was told that due to new rules (Brexit related) they now charge for this, the option being £10 for 7 days. 

I have at least set a new pin for my voicemail so can listen remotely.

Thankfully everyone uses WhatsApp these days so not a big problem like in past.

I shall just wait for the great day when we rejoin the EU