cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel, Garmin & Bluetooth

C-J-O
Investigator
Investigator

I've downgraded from a 2 year old Samsung to a Google Pixel 7a. Buyer be warned!

The phone is ok, but clunky in comparison, but my main complaint is Google's inability to manage Bluetooth. Ive had multiple Garmin watches over the years, and you pair the watch to the phone via the connect app, which works perfectly on all other devices. The Google phone seems to switch off Bluetooth into a doze mode (to save the dismal battery), which means you lose your pairing after 5 mins. You go through the cycle Pair - sync- Unpair & disconnect - Pair etc. 100s of disgruntled Garmin posts on the forums, Google are not acknowledging a problem, or taking responsibility, and I don't think Garmin can fix it alone.

If you're a Garmin user and more likely to switch phones than watches like me. Don't buy Google Phones unfortunately.

IF I find a decent fix I'll update this post, but until then I'll be back to my old Samsung phone and using my Pixel7a as a door wedge - the phone does keep doors open quite nicely...

6 REPLIES 6
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @C-J-O

Thanks for coming here and leaving your review. 

Are Google looking into this further?

Please keep us updated with your findings. 

Katie

I really don't think so.

Sent from Outlook for Android<>
BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

My wife currently has a Pixel 6 and is not having this issue so it not a Google Issue. It may be a setting somewhere within the phonr that tells it to turn bluetooth off after so long of inactivity. Have you gone through your bluetooth settings?

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

There's a list of 30 possible fixes for various Garmin watches on the Garmin forum. I can understand the phone disconnecting when not in use #dozing the subsystems, but not completely unpairing.

BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

There would be a long list of fixes for anything you google or search on the internet because somewhere someone would be having issues. Just because you find a list of 30 fixes doesn't mean it's a massive issue which Google refuses to fix.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
tudans
Visitor

Have you fixed it yet? I'm having the same trouble as you