cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call spoofing

Sorcha
Former EE Community Manager

Another type of scam which is on the increase is ‘call spoofing’. We thought it would be useful to explain what it is, so you can better protect yourself from bad actors who employ this sneaky tactic.

What is call Spoofing?

If you have caller ID switched on, it will show the number of whoever is calling you so you can decide whether to answer it or not. Very handy if you prefer to only answer calls from numbers you recognise. You may sometimes see caller ID referred to as Caller Line Identity (CLI).

Call spoofing is when the caller ID is changed to mimic another number or destination.

Why ‘spoof’ a telephone number?

Sometimes there's good reason to change the caller ID, for example, many large companies (Banks, Utility, Telecoms, Government) will do this to display an 0800 number as opposed to a local number when calling their customers. This means if you need to call them back the number is usually free to call, it also means you can check the company’s website or your latest bill, to verify their telephone number.

Unfortunately, nuisance callers and criminals use call spoofing to hide their identity and make it look like they are legitimate callers from companies you may have a relationship with. More often than not these people are out to steal your login details and/or your financial information.

Spoofed calls are not just targeting UK residents, these calls originate from all over the world. This is a worldwide problem. Both the UK and international regulators are working with the telecoms industry to solve this problem.

What can you do to prevent becoming a victim of call spoofing?

• Be vigilant, never give out personal information in response to an incoming call, particularly if the caller asks you to carry out an action which might have financial consequences or seeking to confirm login or account details.

• Do not rely upon Caller ID as your sole means of identification. If someone rings you asking for this information, don't provide it. Instead, hang up and call the phone number on your account statement, or contact the company through their website.

If you want to report the call to EE Just text 'call' to 7726 followed by a space, then the number that called you, we use the data collected to help protect all of our customers.

Visit our Spam and phishing article to find out how to stay safe.

Find out more about currently circulating scams >

28 REPLIES 28
soapy
Investigator
Investigator

Would it be possible to have a service, even if paid for, which simply drops any call with a CLI that is fake/unregistered? I get about 3 a day currently, they are never the same number so blocking is ineffective and pointless. Answering gets a faint beep and 3 seconds of silence before disconnecting.

A simple lookup would be enough, just check it is a real phone call! 

@soapy : If you have a landline buy a Call Blocker handset that will either:

1. Only pass thro' calls on your permitted nos list, or
  2. Otherwise force the caller to leave a msg declaring who they are before you can answer it or reject it.
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Harrism20
Visitor

What should I do if I believe my mobile number has been spoofed?

@Harrism20 : What evidence do you have that it's been spoofed?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Past-it
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, very useful

@XRaySpeX 
My number is also being spoofed but to call random people. Got a text from an unknown number saying that I’d called them and he even showed me his recent calls with my number on it, but my recent calls is empty for the same period.

Feel it must be some form of identity theft but no idea what for or what to do about it?

Just spoken to a friend about this and he also knows someone who had the exact same thing happen to them not even a week ago. Must be a an automated scam going through a list of numbers, but I wonder what happens when someone actually answers one of those calls

@jbreezy : They are attempted to be scammed. Whether it is successful depends on how much on-the-ball they are. The fake or spoofed calling no does not come into it.

I have had people call my mobile asking why I have rang them - which I haven't: but they *did* have missed calls from my number. Fear my number is being to spoof a call centre number etc? 

Can EE do anything?