cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my phone in the USA

h18spk
Explorer

Hi all,

I am going off to the USA and Caribbean on the 1st of May for just under a month. Currently I have unlimited everything, including unlimited roaming in the EU as I am still on a Pre-Brexit rolling contract. I have been looking to see about getting an add on so I can use my phone in when away so can use Google maps for driving, checking emails, FaceTiming home, internet, the usual. 

I have looked on EE’s site and there are two options you can have for the month, one for £25 and the other for £15, but have seen a comment saying the £25 one has been discontinued. Either way, I think it’s a good price for being away nearly a month and still having my iPhones functionality. So I really have 2 questions;

1) Has anyone used the USA bolt on (and if so, what one) and was it any good. Good coverage, no issues etc. And…

2) Everything for the bolt on says that “fair usage restrictions apply”. So what does that mean for unlimited data contracts, is there a usage cap imposed, which is what they call “fair usage cap”? If so, anyone know how much? 

Thanks

Paul 

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@h18spk :

1. USA: As it is not in EU, if you are on contract, you may use your usual UK allowances there with up to 50 GB data per billing month if you have more, when you buy for £25 / month or have already as a Smart Benefit the Roam Abroad Pass or you have an EE Max Plan. Otherwise you will need to pay the charges or buy roaming add-ons as set out in https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/roaming/roaming-costs/countries/usa.
  2. Caribbean: As it is not in EU, you cannot use your usual UK allowances there but will need to pay the charges or buy roaming add-ons as set out in e.g. https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/roaming/roaming-costs/countries/bermuda.

As you are on contract, remember to text ROAMING to 150 before you leave UK to ensure the roaming ability is enabled on your account.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Coverage abroad is provided by the local operators in those countries, some US networks now require inbound roamers to use VoLTE - the technology underpinning 4G calling - in order to make & receive voice calls.

h18spk
Explorer

Thanks @bristolian  and @XRaySpeX !

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)