Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roam abroad pass USA - receiving data but can't send messages or make calls

Alpachal
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, 

I activated the Roam abroad pass for the USA the day before I arrived in America. The data works fine now abroad, but I can't send an SMS or make calls to US numbers or UK numbers. I also can't receive them. I've tried switching the sim to SIM2. Turning on and off the phone and toggling flight mode on and off.  Any ideas would be welcome? The phone is a Samsung S23 Ultra.

Cheers

11 REPLIES 11
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Alpachal : Are you sure you are using data over the mobile network & not just over WiFi? Other than that, it looks as if you don't have roaming enabled.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi, yep data is only being used via mobile network. Definitely no WiFi connected, as it's mostly being used in the car. I've quickly double checked and nothing is connected aside from mobile network.

Can you try connecting to a diff US network?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I've manually connected to AT&T and Verizon, but with the same results unfortunately. I can't connect to T-mobile though. They seem to be the only 3 networks that appear as options 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Are the symptoms the same across both networks?

VoLTE is also a requirement for US roaming, this will directly impact voice calls if not enabled.

Hi, yeah same symptoms whether connected to Verizon or AT&T - mobile network connects fine and allows me to use the Internet. But calls to UK and US numbers just don't connect and eventually go dead. SMS's also come back with a "Not sent. Check options" message.

I've kept VoLTE connected the whole time. But I've also tried ringing and texting after toggling it off to see if it made any difference (it's toggled back on now) . And network mode is on 5G/LTE/4G/3G/2G auto connect 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for trying @Alpachal 

To get this looked into, please give our mobile guides a call from any other phone on +44 (0)7953 966 150 and the team can check your roaming settings to see what is needed for calls and texts  🙂

Leanne.

Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. on Skype over WiFi. It should be free.

Thanks, will do. Appreciate the help