cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roaming Not Working Australia

Eddjcooper
Visitor

Hi , I have the same issue!  (Now day 3)
In  Perth WA ,  ( city not remote area !! ) 

I have tried online chat and phoned technical support from a friend’s phone for an hour, but still no further along! 
what should I ask the technical team to do exactly besides checking the data roaming is activated, or turning it off and on again! ? 
even removed sim to give them the sim number. 
can very briefly revive a message by manually switching network but can NOT send a text outgoing! Signal dropped very quickly to SOS only. !! 

Please help? I am needing coverage for work. 
thanks

2 REPLIES 2
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Eddjcooper : Are you on contract or PAYG? Had you used that SIM for making calls or texts in UK before you left to go abroad?

If you are on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150? Having a roaming billing add-on doesn't of itself activate roaming on your a/c. Having roaming activated on your EE a/c, not just on your device, is crucial to using your contract SIM abroad.

Often just rebooting the phone is the simple remedy. Also try selecting a network manually rather than auto. Otherwise you need to call CS to get your roaming activated. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. on Skype over WiFi. It should be free. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Have you had coverage in Australia before? Did you receive a welcome text message on first arrival abroad? These are good indicators that roaming is active, and your issue is specific to the local network in your current location.

Toggling flight mode and selecting an alternative operator manually, often resolves this. I suspect from your description that roaming is not enabled on your SIM, preventing connections to foreign networks - in which case you need to request roaming is enabled.

The data roaming option on your phone that you refer to, just allows use of mobile data whilst already roaming. It's useless without international roaming being active on your SIM - which is an account-level setting.