cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone won’t reliable connect while Roaming in USA

Kristofor
Investigator
Investigator

I have the Roam Abroad pass, and am in the US.   Since I’ve arrived my phone will connect to the cellular network here and then drop after a minute or two (sometimes less).  I’ve removed my spend cap at the suggestion of tech support and that fixed the issue for about 12 hours, but now I’m back to the same issue.     Because of the time difference is difficult to reach tech support.   Any suggestion  would be appreciated!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kristofor
Investigator
Investigator

After speaking to a tech, they were able to resolve the issue.  They didn’t give me a full description of what happened, but I think the issue was that roaming was enabled for EU and not for the USA. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Regardless of any billing add-on, your ability to get coverage abroad (which calls, texts & mobile data rely on) is dependent on roaming being activated - which allows your phone to connect to foreign networks.

On pay-monthly, this needs to be enabled manually - usually by texting ROAMING to 150 before leaving the UK. Did you do this?

If you now find yourself abroad without having enabled roaming, your only recourse will be to contact CS to request it activated. You can either contact +44 7953 966150 from another working phone, or +44 800 0798586 using a web-calling app such as Skype over WiFi.

Roaming was activated.   When I talked to tech support the first time they said it was a glitch in their system that was blocking the connection because of the spend cap.  I had it removed and that fixed the issue, but now it’s come back.  

bristolian
Legend
Legend

I'd like to think that CS would check the roaming status, but there's been plenty of cases on here where that's not been done.

You didn't mention receiving the welcome text message on first arrival, which is normally a good indication of a roaming network connection.

Spend cap issues wouldn't prevent a network connection, but would cause issues with incurring chargeable usage.

The tech specifically checked the roam abroad status.   But I didn’t receive the customary welcome text.   I did just see a different post and it appears there is a larger problem that includes texts as well.   I’ll report here after I connect with tech support tomorrow.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @Kristofor 

Please let us know how you get on after speaking to our tech guides. 

I hope this is sorted soon for you. 

Leanne 🙂

Kristofor
Investigator
Investigator

After speaking to a tech, they were able to resolve the issue.  They didn’t give me a full description of what happened, but I think the issue was that roaming was enabled for EU and not for the USA. 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Kristofor 

Thanks for coming back and letting us know 🙂

Have an amazing time in America.

Leanne.