cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to UAE, how to make calls to the UK for cheaper ?

saverose89
Visitor

Hi,

I am going to Dubai for 10 days, I need to make a few calls while I will be away, I cannot use apps like whatsapp or skype as I need to phone a landline and these apps are also blocked in the UAE. If I take the 30 mins from anywhere add-on and turn off my esim after I make my calls, I won't be charged for anything else and people will still be able to leave me voicemails (I don't intend to check the VM until I am back in the UK)?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
bristolian
Legend
Legend

An eSIM is just an electronic version of a physical SIM and will not make any difference to your call charges. A local SIM will reduce data charges, but roaming charges are set out at https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/roaming-costs 

Switching off your EE SIM or using flight mode will prevent access to mobile networks and thus stop you from receiving calls or text messages. Both of these rely on mobile network service abroad.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Outside the EU, you cannot use your usual UK allowances there but will need to pay the charges or buy roaming add-ons as set out in https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile/roaming/roaming-costs/countries/unitedarabemirates.

If you are on contract, remember to text ROAMING to 150 before you leave UK to ensure the roaming ability is enabled on your account.

If you are on PAYG, make sure you have used your PAYG SIM to make a call or text in the UK.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)