cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Verification Code messages

Northnet
Contributor
Contributor

With the advent of verification codes being sent by text for almost every web login, I am noticing that typically I never receive the code at the first time of trying. I have to hope that the site has a 'Resend Code' option available, and the second try always comes through.

Currently I am trying to untangle a login the does not have the option to resend the code they require. I am unable to verify because their system already has my mobile number associated with my account, but unverified, and the code not received. So I am stuck in limbo.

Is this a common problem, or is it just me? I have tried to raise the issue with Technical Support, but they have not got back to me - they said they would report back by text, but it has probably gone missing.

10 REPLIES 10
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Northnet 

This is why you use an authentication app over text codes which are not reliable. Are there any apps specifically you are having issues with. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Not any one code sender, all of them. My bank thinks I'm dodgy because I always have to request a resend, and everywhere else. An auth app is useless if the only verification on offer is a code via text.

I have now spoken with Tech Support, they ran some tests but found nothing untoward. I am in a rubbish signal area but that has always been the case.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Northnet 

Thanks for coming here. 

If this is still happening after our tech guides ran some checks, please get back in touch on 150 and the team will continue the diagnostics to get this fully investigated 🙂

Leanne.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

I disagree that app-based authentication is definitely more reliable than SMS, but it's certainly an alternative you can try.

If anything, SMS is a better solution in a poor coverage area as it will often succeed where voice calls or mobile data might struggle. If subsequent attempts at sending texts succeed, then the problem is likely  to be with the sender being delayed - there's nothing different about how a second or third text message is routed through the core network than a first one is.

I've certainly had first attempts take perhaps 30-40 seconds to arrive, and if the website has a particularly short timeout, then that can result  in the company's over-zealous security tying itself in knots.

Northnet
Contributor
Contributor

Well, the jury is still out as to whether this is resolved. The last verification I used had an automated phone call which 'spoke' the confirmation code, so it seems they had experienced problems with SMS based codes going missing.

The verification that was failing carried out a complete reset at their end and the next time I tried from scratch the code came through within a few seconds.  This tends to confirm @bristolian timeout theory. Requesting a 'Resend Code', when the option is available, works fine as a work around, but when the option is not available there is a problem. I pointed this out to the website I was experiencing a problem with, and since it took all day to untangle it they may take note.

Northnet
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE!

I upgraded my phone recently, and since then verification codes have come through first time. My old Redmi Note 7 worked perfectly (except for this code issue) but was no longer getting Android or MIUI updates. The Samsung S23 that has replaced it is bang up to date with Android and ONE UI. It would seem that code updates over the years have affected Messaging in some subtle way.

Christopher_G

Hi @Northnet 

Have you heard from our technical support team about this yet?

Chris

Yes, they did a full reset of my account, although it is unclear whether it made a difference. Changing phones definitely has.

Christopher_G

Thanks for the update, @Northnet 

Keep us posted on what happens please.

Chris