Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on recent issue with our clients and MFA

Adam311
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

We have an application and have noticed an increase in clients that use EE only not getting the MFA codes. We can see they are trying to be delivered but not being accepted. Firstly not sure who i can speak to as not an EE customer myself just trying to get the texts to your customers. Secondly has there been any changes to rules or updates to customers phones in the last few days that could see an increase in undelivered Text Messages.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Adam311,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

I'd recommend asking any EE customers affected to contact technical support who'll be able to take a look at this at an account level and raise a support ticket to resolve the issue if needed.

James

Adam311
Investigator
Investigator

Hi James, We did ask a client to speak to EE and EE unhelpfully said that it wasnt there problem!.

I can see in the log files from AWS some of these are not getting through only to EE all other providers work so would point to a carrier problem over how we are sending them. I have message id's that I would like someone to be able to check to see reason why these are getting blocked. I am seeing if we can change our outgoing number. 

The strange thing is that some EE sim cards are working, but a fair percent our not.

Not sure if you can advise or assist any further.

thanks

Adam

James_B

Hi @Adam311,

If only some EE users are seeing the issue, it suggests it isn't likely to be a network problem.

James

The error code from Amazon points to EE blocking the number though?. So it might not be across all devices, but if the number is getting blocked and EE can tell me why then I can figure it out as in is it an EE Business policy type or from certain old sim cards like t-mobile/orange etc. The fact it works for every other provider 100% is bizzare, its been happening since last Thursday so wondering if EE has changed any spam filters.

I need some assistance over suggestions if possible, any help greatly appreciated.

James_B

Hi @Adam311,

If it was a spam filter, I'd expect it to affect every EE customer in the same way.

Do the affected customers have anything in common? A recent number port, are they roaming etc.?

Can they receive other OTP codes successfully?

Have you tried raising it with Amazon support?

James

Adam311
Investigator
Investigator

Hi James,

Still struggling, we still only have the problem with EE numbers, however I have tried on a PAYG sim and also a couple of people who are with EE and its working. 

I have had a look at the file and all we get from EE is the response

providerResponse: Unknown error attempting to reach phone,

Leanne_T

Hi @Adam311 

How many numbers are affected? 

Do you know if they are all using the same device? 

Thanks.

Leanne.

Hi Leanne,

I have checked we have around 10-20 failing at the moment a day. All with same error. They are different devices. I was googling and saw a different thread with someone with similar problem but new number port. Can i ask is there a difference between standard SMS and MFA texts?

Also we would be sending i believe from eu-west-1

I have just aquired some pay as you go EE and tried with two people on EE internally and all working. It works for all other providers so it looks like since last week there is some change for EE Business Sims that have new restrictions or changes. Looking at the error via AWS they have said the following are standard reasons for not receiving the texts.

I can ask the clients to contact EE as a standard response, but if EE can advise then happy to help etc. We are looking to change the sending number, but that will take time. 

• Blocked as spam by phone carrier
  • Destination is blacklisted
  • Invalid phone number
  • Message body is invalid
  • Phone carrier has blocked this message
  • Phone carrier is currently unreachable/unavailable
  • Phone has blocked SMS
  • Phone is currently unreachable/unavailable
  • Phone number is opted out
  • This delivery would exceed max price
  • Unknown error attempting to reach phone

Leanne_T

Hi @Adam311 

To investigate the texts and get this looked into further the users impacted would need to call us and the team will be happy to help. 

Leanne.