cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI calling not working without GSM network connection

alexbb
Contributor
Contributor

WIFI calling was meant to work when no mobile network signal is available, but in my case it does not. Also, when I'm in a WIFI call, is the mobile network signal is lost, I lose my phone call over WIFI. That happens a lot as I'm in a building with very poor indoor reception.

This has been going for months, I use a Google Pixel 6, and I can verify my calls work over WIFI just fine, as long I have mobile network signal, once it is lost, I can't make or receive any calls over WIFI.

What can I do to fix this?

28 REPLIES 28
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@alexbb   Having no signal when Wi-Fi calling is enabled should still work as that’s the point of Wi-Fi calling.  It doesn’t need a cellular signal to work.    Are you 100 sure you are using Wi-Fi calling ? As this sounds like a cellular call that’s being dropped because of poor or no cellular connection.   Is Wi-Fi calling enabled on the device?  Just have Wi-Fi enabled doesn’t mean you’re using Wi-Fi calling. 

Yes, I'm 100% sure it is using WIFI calling because first, my phone clearly displays the call as being placed over WIFI, second, I can enable/disable and clearly notice the codec/audio quality difference between WIFI and GSM network (when not using VoLTE).

I've also used Wireshark on my firewall to capture packets sent from my phone over the WIFI network, I can see traffic during a VOIP call.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @alexbb 

Thanks for coming here. 

Does this happen on more than one WiFi network? 

Have you tried backing up your data and resetting the phone to factory settings? 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

alexbb
Contributor
Contributor

I've not tried on a different location, but I've already tried on a different network that is wide open with no firewall rules protecting it. If that was the case of being a problem, then WIFI calling would never work. It does not work only when GSM network signal is lost.

My phone was recently replaced, so factory settings would not be applicable. Same problem with previous phone. 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

OK, thanks @alexbb 

I would suggest speaking to our Technical Support team so they can help you with this.
Chris

bristolian
Legend
Legend

I'm not clear whether your VoWiFi calls are setting up in the first place and then dropping? Or not setting up in the first place.

VoWiFi only has handover to other IMS layers - in other words, VoLTE. There isn't handover between the legacy 2G/3G layers and VoWiFi - this could potentially explain some of your issues.

I've opened a ticket with support.

WIFI calling works, and I can see the traffic on my firewall. I've only 4/5g where I am, still there is no handover so far I can see as the call is not over mobile network, the call is over wifi. the phone says so, the firewall traffic logged says so. What handover would happen in this situation?

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Are you using Android or Apple? And if Android, are you using "WiFi-preferred" or "mobile preferred"?

Do you know which 4G bands are in use - notably whether you're using B20 or B1/B3/B7?

Stevestevesteve
Explorer

Hi Alex, I'd be keen to hear the solution if you do find one. I've been experiencing the same issue for a while now and unfortunately my discussions with tech support didn't get very far as they couldn't seem to understand the issue. I have managed to secure bill credit for the inconvenience so make sure you ask for it too!  

One thing I have noticed in my pixel 6 settings is that it says 'EE WiFi calling requires 2g' so perhaps that has something to do with it?

Screenshot_20230331-122730.png