Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible broadband speed, despite being in an excellent 5g coverage area

D_YA_LIKE_DAGS
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all, 

Over the last few months I have noticed a significant deterioration of the 4G/5G Internet speed in my area, this despite the map showing excellent coverage.

The attached photos show the speeds tonight. Please note, this test was performed outside while waiting in my car, following a handset restart (to rule out issues with the phone) and with my vpn suspended. 

Considering the recent months, I'm very disappointed with EE, and as things stand I am looking to move to a different provider when my current contract expires (after being with EE for about 10  years). 

Has anyone in my area experienced similar issues? Speaking to my brother who is also on EE, he's noted the same problems over the recent months. 

1000008408.png

1000008407.png

6 REPLIES 6
bristolian
Legend
Legend

The map you've screenshotted isn't an EE one, but Speedtest's site - I have some doubts as to the basis for how that is compiled, and can't recommend its reliability.

The best first-line check is on EE's status page - https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee and selecting "check status". Depending on the result, select either "keep me posted" or "report a problem". Any & every affected user should do the same, if the issue is not listed and thus needs reporting.

Thanks a lot for the reply. According to my phone at the time, and according to the EE map, it still shows as a 5G area. Please see the attached screenshot. 

1000008422.png

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @D_YA_LIKE_DAGS 

Thanks for coming here. 

If you select 'check status' on the coverage checker, do we have any reported problems for the area? 

If not, you can report this and our network team will get this looked into for you. 

Leanne 🙂

Hi Leanne T, thanks for your reply. I will be reporting further issues in the future, as previously reported.

Unfortunatley, I have found this to be a trend over last few months, rather than an exception, I doubt this would be consistently caused by a technical problem. As things stand, I am looking forward to be moving on to a different network.

Kind regards,

Adrian

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

I am very sorry to hear this @D_YA_LIKE_DAGS 

If you would like to discuss the speeds in more detail, please give our tech guides a call they will be happy to help. 

Leanne.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Just out of interest, what functions do you want to use your phone for, that these speeds are causing issues?

I suspect the location you've quoted may be on the edge of usable 5GNR and you're using 4G layers more often. The site immediately closest the centre of your screenshot only has dual-carrier B3 service, so depending on individual config has plenty of scope for tech adds.