Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange roaming text

AdrianL13
Investigator
Investigator

I received the following message today:

Hi from EE, Welcome to Jersey, you'll pay £2.29 per day to use your minutes, texts and data allowance.

Calls to countries outside the EU (not including the UK) are £1.86 per min and texts 76p each. Other charges are the same as when you're in the UK.

For the best network coverage your handset must automatically select a network. To do this, choose your phone from: http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device next select 'Connectivity' then 'Selecting Network'.

Call +447953966250 for Customer Services & 112 in case of emergency. Have a good trip!

This was odd as I was in Wiltshire on the UK mainland. Did anyone else get this?  I’m assuming it was a network error but would like confirmation this was the case.  

15 REPLIES 15
bristolian
Legend
Legend

That looks like a typical SRN design tower which is capable of supporting multiple operators, albeit this proposal was only for VF & O2 initially. My distant recollection is that EE's service was reasonable at the top-end of the village but became non-existent at lower-levels.

Pre-application consultations are quite common where a full-application is not certain to be approved so is consulted on prior to submission - assuming it reaches the formal application stage.

NitrogenPurged
Visitor

Hey mate. 

I live West Wales mate. Just got the same message today. Very strange as I'm further out.

If anything I'd expect to pick up Irish service. 

My wife and I are both on EE and keep getting messages saying welcome to Jersey and we live on Anglesey! Anyone know how to get EE to correct this issue? Thanks

We had the same at National Trust Stourhead & looks like it happens a lot (by the comments on EE Community) so I messaged EE about it.  They seem totally unaware of why this happens & to be honest they just advised there had been no additional charges on my account as obviously we were in the UK.  My husband is with 3 & got the same message in Stourhead. 
It’s all very odd 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

These are the standard welcome text messages you receive when you first connect to a foreign network, and it's not unusual to receive these in locations where your home network doesn't provide coverage but a foreign network does. In these cases the text serves as a warning that you are roaming.

CS may not be aware of the unique circumstances that can cause these messages.

Nette11
Visitor

I just had exactly the same message but I'm in West Wales, where I live!