cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopeless connection to 5g with both eSIMS

Jonath62
Investigator
Investigator

Where I live I have hopeless connection to the EE network 5g. The coverage checker is completely inaccurate. Even with WiFi calling enabled I have 1 bar of 5 and sometimes no connection at all. 

i am considering switching to a different service provider. Going to get rid of my BT home phone at last but will anyone be able to call me?  

5 REPLIES 5
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Jonath62 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

I am sorry to hear you have signal issues at home, have you reported the problem on our EE Coverage & Network Status Checker

If you select 'check status' you can report this to our network team and register for updates when this has been looked into. 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

WiFi-calling is not designed to improve your mobile coverage, but to allow you to use your phone without it.

Well it doesn’t help at all and this is because it is not using my internet connection like FaceTime or iMessage which is a much better option than using WiFi calling (for my friends who have iPhone) because the data is transmitted via a different network pathway. and in any case I am currently spending £ 50 per month on my mobile data. I have already spoken to EE and they have repeatedly told me that an antenna is not working near my home. Interestingly this is exactly the same old excuse that O2 used for 5 years before I left them for EE. I am beginning to think that this antenna is rather imaginary!  As you may know data and speech are separately handled by the SIM and the iPhone whether it’s an eSIM or a physical SIM. If it was just as simple as turning on WiFi calling then we wouldn’t need any SIM at all.  I actually think that I need to physically connect my iPhone to the router like my home phone is. Trouble with that solution would be that BT would want to charge me for routing via the other method which can in fact slow down router speeds as it adds “bloat” this means that if every body in the house simply switches on WiFi calling. It will significantly reduce the speed you are paying for from your internet connection. 

All this is on Wikipedia.  

bristolian
Legend
Legend

WiFi-calling uses a WiFi connection, to allow you to make & receive calls, send & receive text messages entirely as normal without needing a mobile network connection - providing you have an active subscription on the inserted SIM. Without a SIM, you will only have access to WiFi-internet and no network-based services.

It does not use your mobile data allowance, and neither does it matter what the reason for lack of coverage is. It is different to app-based approaches such as WhatsApp, Messenger or indeed Apple-specific proprietry platforms such as you describe.

The SIM's purpose is to authenticate your device/SIM onto the mobile network, not to route any voice or data traffic.

Thanks
Sent from my iPhone