Poor signal

RimEsy
Explorer

Hi,

I have a free sim in order to check the signal where I work. The online checker said I should get full signal indoors and out. However, as I suspected, this doesn't appear to be the case and I only get one bar at best. I have done the usual. Turned it on and off and checked for updates etc. This hasn't improved anything.

The checker also says there aren't any current issues; I'm guessing this is to do with my place of work. Just wanted to check there wasn't anything that could be done before I try a different service provider (as a couple others have a strong signal at work). Please DM if you'd like more details.

Regards,

Rob

4 REPLIES 4
bristolian
Legend
Legend

You're doing the right things so far, but what do you consider "the usual"?

Querying the networks that your colleagues are with, would also confirm which operators have strong coverage there. EE are not alone in offering WiFi-calling as an excellent mitigation for indoor coverage issues.

I had restarted my device, turned airplane mode on and off, checked for any updates and enabled wifi calling. It’s the data not the calling that is the main issue. After asking colleagues I found none were with EE, which was why I had my suspicions in the first place. Other providers such as o2, tesco, giffgaff and Vodafone all have reception. Just not EE or 3.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Tesco & Giffgaff are both virtual providers who "piggyback" onto the O2 RAN.

I'd agree that indoor mobile coverage is preferable, but usable WiFi should both allow data use and enable WiFi-calling.

samgoodfield512
Investigator
Investigator

Its likely a local service issue, the local basestation may be down for some reason. 

IT expert, founder and CEO of ffon.uk a hosting provider based in Wales.