cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE's network has gone backwards by 10 years

Profile closed
Not applicable

As the title says. EE has, certainly in my area, gone backwards by 10 years.

We are supposed to be improving, with the need to stay connected to the internet being greater than ever before.

But no, EE has gone backwards, to the point where I used to be able to get a faster speed on a Virgin Mobile SIM in a Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus! 

This was when Virgin Mobile used EE's 3G network - and the handset was a 3G HSDPA handset which topped out at 7.2Mbps. The 3G SIM used to constantly hit 2Mbps.

EE's speed today:

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/7909941303

This is not fit for purpose as "the UK's best network for the eighth year running". In actuality, it is the UK's WORST network, and has been in my area for the last 4-8 weeks!

Previously, in my area:

EE 3G (pre-4G days): 15Mbps Band 1

EE 4G (initial, single speed): 30Mbps Band 3, backhaul limited

EE 4G (up to Sept/Oct 2021): 70Mbps Band 3 OR 10Mbps Band 20

EE "4G" (recently): 15Mbps (max)/8Mbps (average) Band 3, 5Mbps (max)/2Mbps (average) Band 20, signal strength significantly weaker than any of the above (even 3G).

Under days of high load, such as events:

EE 3G (pre-4G days): 2Mbps

EE 4G (up to Sept/Oct 21): 5Mbps (min), 10Mbps (average), B3

EE "4G" November 2021: 6Mbps B3, <0.5Mbps B20 (see Speedtest link posted above!).

Note that the 3G tests were previously done on a Samsung Galaxy S4 (DC-HSPA and LTE compatible). The 4G tests were carried out on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or Samsung Galaxy S9+ (both DC-HSPA+, LTE-CA, and VoLTE compatible). The Virgin Mobile reference above was on a Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus (HSDPA 7.2 only) with a 3G SIM card.

Until recently, EE 4G has been absolutely fine.

Recently, EE 4G signal strength has gone down significantly. 

2G is now barely average, though 2G is not fit for purpose in 2021/2022 due to low quality calls and slow data rates.

3G is still strong - I can only assume it is using the same old mast panels, whereas 2G and 4G are using new panels.

4G is considerably weaker: Band 3 is significantly weaker and only receivable in one room of the house. Band 20 is strong, but still weaker than before, and completely swamped/overloaded - see the speedtest link for an example of what to expect in my area!

This is NOT a weak signal area: EE Band 1 3G is still strong, coming from the same mast (and faster than 4G!), Vodafone is strong and offers 120Mbps peak, O2 is strong and offers 90Mbps peak, and 3UK seems to be strong as well (at least according to their coverage checker).

3UK uses the same mast, and same antennae, as EE, due to MBNL, so how is EE becoming so poor as of late?!

I have submitted a request on the EE network status website and am very tempted to give EE a phone call just to see what they can do. Failing that, I may be leaving and going to Vodafone or O2, as they are stronger and faster. EE want to take a payment from my account in a few days, for this month's allowances, well if EE donb't fix their issues it will be the LAST payment they take from my account.

EE need to do something, and fast. (Or slow, if their network team is as bad as the coverage and speed here.)

edit: Good, my minimum term is over, so it's a case of improve, or I move to Vodafone and get 20GB data and Spotify Premium thrown in for £16 per month.

30 REPLIES 30
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ALI1428 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Could you let us know what help you needed when you called our mobile care team? 

We will certainly see if there is anything we can suggest 🙂

Leanne.