cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE's network has gone backwards by 10 years

Profile closed
Not applicable

As the title says. EE has, certainly in my area, gone backwards by 10 years.

We are supposed to be improving, with the need to stay connected to the internet being greater than ever before.

But no, EE has gone backwards, to the point where I used to be able to get a faster speed on a Virgin Mobile SIM in a Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus! 

This was when Virgin Mobile used EE's 3G network - and the handset was a 3G HSDPA handset which topped out at 7.2Mbps. The 3G SIM used to constantly hit 2Mbps.

EE's speed today:

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/7909941303

This is not fit for purpose as "the UK's best network for the eighth year running". In actuality, it is the UK's WORST network, and has been in my area for the last 4-8 weeks!

Previously, in my area:

EE 3G (pre-4G days): 15Mbps Band 1

EE 4G (initial, single speed): 30Mbps Band 3, backhaul limited

EE 4G (up to Sept/Oct 2021): 70Mbps Band 3 OR 10Mbps Band 20

EE "4G" (recently): 15Mbps (max)/8Mbps (average) Band 3, 5Mbps (max)/2Mbps (average) Band 20, signal strength significantly weaker than any of the above (even 3G).

Under days of high load, such as events:

EE 3G (pre-4G days): 2Mbps

EE 4G (up to Sept/Oct 21): 5Mbps (min), 10Mbps (average), B3

EE "4G" November 2021: 6Mbps B3, <0.5Mbps B20 (see Speedtest link posted above!).

Note that the 3G tests were previously done on a Samsung Galaxy S4 (DC-HSPA and LTE compatible). The 4G tests were carried out on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or Samsung Galaxy S9+ (both DC-HSPA+, LTE-CA, and VoLTE compatible). The Virgin Mobile reference above was on a Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus (HSDPA 7.2 only) with a 3G SIM card.

Until recently, EE 4G has been absolutely fine.

Recently, EE 4G signal strength has gone down significantly. 

2G is now barely average, though 2G is not fit for purpose in 2021/2022 due to low quality calls and slow data rates.

3G is still strong - I can only assume it is using the same old mast panels, whereas 2G and 4G are using new panels.

4G is considerably weaker: Band 3 is significantly weaker and only receivable in one room of the house. Band 20 is strong, but still weaker than before, and completely swamped/overloaded - see the speedtest link for an example of what to expect in my area!

This is NOT a weak signal area: EE Band 1 3G is still strong, coming from the same mast (and faster than 4G!), Vodafone is strong and offers 120Mbps peak, O2 is strong and offers 90Mbps peak, and 3UK seems to be strong as well (at least according to their coverage checker).

3UK uses the same mast, and same antennae, as EE, due to MBNL, so how is EE becoming so poor as of late?!

I have submitted a request on the EE network status website and am very tempted to give EE a phone call just to see what they can do. Failing that, I may be leaving and going to Vodafone or O2, as they are stronger and faster. EE want to take a payment from my account in a few days, for this month's allowances, well if EE donb't fix their issues it will be the LAST payment they take from my account.

EE need to do something, and fast. (Or slow, if their network team is as bad as the coverage and speed here.)

edit: Good, my minimum term is over, so it's a case of improve, or I move to Vodafone and get 20GB data and Spotify Premium thrown in for £16 per month.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Profile closed
Not applicable

Update - July 2022

After taking measurements of signal strength between EE and Three (both use the same panels), I ordered my PAC code. EE is just far too weak and too slow to be reliable in this area.

I am now happy to report that I am a new VOXI/Vodafone member - 4G is nice and strong (what I expect of all networks in this area), and the speed is good. The value for money aspect is better than EE, also - instead of getting 10GB for £11.03 (after an RPI and a CPI increase), I am now getting 30GB for £10.

4G download speeds via Vodafone are usually 50Mbps+ via Bands 1 and 20. This is less than the up to 120Mbps measured previously, but it may be down to the device, or the load on the network: there may well be more Vodafone customers here now that EE has let the area down. Upload speeds are 20-30Mbps.

Interestingly, download speeds even on single carrier 4G are 20-30Mbps - which is better than what EE could provide.

For reference:

EE 4G Band 3 - signal readings approx -110 to -115dBm

EE 4G Band 20 - signal readings approx -70 to -80dBm

3UK 4G Band 3 - signal readings approx -90 to -95dBm 

3UK 4G Band 1 - signal readings approx -95 to -100dBm

3UK 4G Band 20 - signal readings better than -75dBm

Vodafone UK 4G Band 1 - signal readings between -95dBm and -105dBm

Vodafone UK 4G Band 20 - signal readings between -85dBm and -90dBm

Bit of a difference!

Also note that Vodafone (and O2 for that matter) have 2x10MHz spectrum at Band 20 - this is more than EE (and 3UK) who only have 2x5MHz spectrum at Band 20. Given how the latter is a requirement for coverage in this area (if you don't want to be dropped down to 3G), it's no surprise that EE's network really chokes itself, especially under high load.

Success at last.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Profile closed ,

Does fast.com confirm the poor speed test result?

Do you have an app to show the SINR going with that bad result?

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@mikeliuk : Why shouldn't it? And if it doesn't, so what? The OP has already done speed tests. You don't believe him?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Have you checked the ee.co.uk/status for issues in your Home area, if you know where the EEMasts are put the Approximate Post Codes of the Masts into the checker as can sometimes reveal better results, if the checker is showing as all good then Report an issue on the same tool.

Just for reference a Band 20 on EE is normally only configured for 5Mhz Bandwidth so your never really going to get high speed from this. The Band's with higher Bandwidths are 1, 3 and 7.

When doing your Tests are you in good 4G+ or LTE A (Carrier Aggregation), you can download an Android App called Netmonster which will assist you you in Bands and CA Bands your locked onto to aid with your testing.

Profile closed
Not applicable

https://imgur.com/a/6QeTDqO

https://imgur.com/a/wvJcq9V

Had to use Imgur because this forum won't let me attach anything and make it visible, so hey ho...

In any case:

This is the UK's best network for 8 years running, absolutely laughable that my town is so reliant on Band 20 after Band 3 has been reduced in coverage to almost nonexistent, and of course Band 20 is now totally swamped as can be seen from both Ookla and fast.com! 

I'm tempted to grab a family member's Vodafone mobile device, just so I can see how they perform under high load. Under low load, Vodafone are 120Mbps!

Profile closed
Not applicable

@EssexBoyEE wrote:

Have you checked the ee.co.uk/status for issues in your Home area, if you know where the EEMasts are put the Approximate Post Codes of the Masts into the checker as can sometimes reveal better results, if the checker is showing as all good then Report an issue on the same tool.

Just for reference a Band 20 on EE is normally only configured for 5Mhz Bandwidth so your never really going to get high speed from this. The Band's with higher Bandwidths are 1, 3 and 7.

When doing your Tests are you in good 4G+ or LTE A (Carrier Aggregation), you can download an Android App called Netmonster which will assist you you in Bands and CA Bands your locked onto to aid with your testing.

Checked the EE status site and it says no known problems.

But of course, it's that you reduced the coverage of EE Band 3 to the point where it is unusable if you go more than about 200-300 meters away from the mast.

EE Band 20 covers the area fine but is completely overloaded

EE Band 3 is significantly weaker and only receivable in one or two rooms in the house (definitely not receivable downstairs or outside)

EE Band 7 is barely there (from a more distant mast) and not worth using.

I carried out the tests on Band 20 to simulate what the network is like outside, and in most of my house - Band 3 does work better, but not much better, and certainly much worse than the full strength 70Mbps I used to receive. Band 3 gets about 6Mbps, far from ideal. When set to default settings, the network is on Band 3 where it can, but often drops to Band 20 (especially downstairs) and its complete lack of usability. 3G is both faster and better, so if EE turns off 3G, they are screwed to be honest.

And yes, I know that EE only has 5MHz of Band 20 spectrum. It's why (IMO) they should be using their 700MHz spectrum for 4G, to help their low band offerings - because when EE rely on Band 20 for coverage, it just doesn't work.

And as mentioned, this is NOT a weak signal strength area as O2 and Vodafone both perform very well in this area, and 3UK also seem fine from their coverage checker.

edit: Checked downstairs and the SIM was flip flopping between a very weak Band 3 and a very unusable Band 20. Somehow managed to get 1Mbps download and 0.3Mbps upload.

Vodafone gave over 65Mbps...

I'm out of my minimum term as well now, so very likely to be bye bye EE...

The future is exciting. Ready?

Hi @Profile closed ,

Unloaded ping of 765 ms seems very, very wrong in the sense that either something else is happening or there's a fault.

The OpenSignal app will show the average measured bandwidth and ping you should expect in your area and if you are a long way off those numbers, it may be worth tracking down the root cause or reporting a possible fault.

I think if you check the SINR, either a lot of this would be explained or the mystery will deepen. Running a longish ping against a public end point such as 8.8.8.8 might also be illuminating to see the level of jitter and perhaps lost packets. Network providers do not necessarily share mast locations and often do not.

5700 ms loaded ping must be a record on here. I would recommend to test again in the early morning or late evening when the networks should be less loaded. If the results vastly improve, it may be a network overloaded with streamers (or uploaders, given the upload seems more impacted). If the same is seen when the network is quiet, there's likely a fault or misconfiguration somewhere. Good luck!

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM

And yes, I know that EE only has 5MHz of Band 20 spectrum. It's why (IMO) they should be using their 700MHz spectrum for 4G, to help their low band offerings - because when EE rely on Band 20 for coverage, it just doesn't work.

EE's 700Mhz spectrum is being used for 5G services, and as a broad rule will tend to correlate with locations where 4G-800Mhz service is available.

800Mhz service on Band20 has never been intended to provide the same speed potential as other spectrum deployments - it is used as an "extended range" service, locations where it's the primary server will often be in rural & indoor locations

Edited to add that the MBNL sharing arrangement is rather complicated now, and an assumption that EE & 3UK are sharing antenna is not necessarily a reliable one.

Profile closed
Not applicable

@bristolian wrote:

EE's 700Mhz spectrum is being used for 5G services, and as a broad rule will tend to correlate with locations where 4G-800Mhz service is available.

800Mhz service on Band20 has never been intended to provide the same speed potential as other spectrum deployments - it is used as an "extended range" service, locations where it's the primary server will often be in rural & indoor locations

Edited to add that the MBNL sharing arrangement is rather complicated now, and an assumption that EE & 3UK are sharing antenna is not necessarily a reliable one.

In my area at least, Band 3 used to be absolutely fine. But EE have messed about somewhere and as such Band 3 is useless, to the point that Band 20 is the only thing that properly covers the area. 5MHz spectrum just isn't enough for this area. A small town does not warrant just 5MHz on it!

This kind of reminds me when O2 thought that Thrapston was worthy of just GSM 900 & 1800MHz, and that Vodafone thought that Raunds was worthy of just GSM, even though O2 provided 3G, as did EE & 3UK. Now, it seems that Higham Ferrers & Rushden is worthy of just 5MHz spectrum, unless you're right on top of the masts.

And yes, the Band 20 is now being relied on, both indoors and outdoors. When there was a relatively busy event on today (happens every year); instead of EE holding up with a few Mbps (which happened previously with B3 4G and B1 3G in previous years), EE just totally collapsed.

Band 3 did still provide a couple of Mbps, but of course the vast majority of HF & Rushden now can't get Band 3!

B1 3G is strong, but the network prioritizes 4G over 3G,

B20 is strong, but has so little capacity it is worthless anyway,

B3 is weak (almost like the amplifier on the mast isn't working, or is set far too low) and barely gives adequate coverage.

And as I said, I'm in a strong signal area, I get good 3G from the same mast, and I got a strong B1 & B20 4G CA from Vodafone earlier, which gave 65Mbps at a time where EE was barely giving anything at all!

Might be worth testing 3UK out to see if they are as bad! If they're not sharing as much equipment (and are still using older panels), then 3UK might actually work better than EE!

Hi @Profile closed ,

I was with Three for 24 months up until about 7 months ago. Unfortunately, the nearest cell tower was a little far away and the network somewhat congested at peak times to below 1 Mbps which I judged to be unusable but switching to 3G would reliably get me a survivable 7 Mbps.

In your case, I feel the measured bandwidths don't make any sense until you can get unloaded latency down to 60 ms, or lower, as high latencies such as 600 ms should only be seen on a saturated link. 5700 ms loaded is cuckoo land and reminds me of Hyde Park Winter Wonderland when essentially all networks suffer DDoS with the high number of attendees.

--