cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTMF / touch tones do not work when roaming in the US

chrishammond
Explorer

Hey everyone,

I have a very strange, but entirely repeatable, problem when roaming with my EE plan in the US. I use a Google Pixel 7 Pro, but I remember experiencing this with a Pixel 6 Pro too back when I had that device.

Whenever I am Stateside, any calls that require touch tone / DTMF dialling to navigate an IVR (e.g., "for another twenty options you didn't ask for, press 1") do not work. I am currently roaming on AT&T, and it does not seem to make a difference whether I am on 4G or 5G. Sometimes my phone will drift over to T-Mobile (US), but this is usually only for a short while so I haven't had the chance to test this network yet.

Not only have I observed this, but I can actually reliably reproduce it using Twilio. I have a trial account with them, so any time I get a call I'll receive the warning message that I'm on a trial account, followed by a prompt to "press any key to run [my] code". No matter how many times I press any key (or which key I press), Twilio will time out and terminate the call. Calling my Skype number, on the other hand, will work just fine and I'll be able to run my code by pressing a key that way.

I have also observed this with Google's hardware support team. When you request a callback, you have to press a key to speak to a human; otherwise, you just get cut off. Again, no matter how many times I tried to do this, it wouldn't work and I had to use an alternative phone that is not roaming in the US.

It should go without saying, but I have no issues at all with DTMF / touch tone dialling when I am in the UK and no longer roaming, so there is definitely an issue here.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I saw in another post that some phones have the option for a longer tone, but I do not see that option on my Pixel. Also, I found a thread on Apple's forums in which an iOS user had the same problem, so this seems to be a network issue rather than a handset one.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

1 REPLY 1
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @chrishammond 

Thanks for coming here. 

Do you happen to know anyone else who is on EE and roaming, who is experiencing the same issue? 

If not, I would suggest getting in touch with our tech gurus, they will be able to get this looked into for you. 

You can find ways to contact us on our get in touch page here.

Thanks. 

Leanne.