cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed capped since switching to Unlimited data

peaceflower4eva
Contributor
Contributor

I switched to an Unlimited data plan from a 160gb plan a week or so ago, and ever since the switch, my speed is capped at about 25mbps. The Speedtest will usually connect at several times faster than that (60 to 70mbps, or around 120 to 140mbps if I'm in the city), but then immediately sinks to 25mpbs, no matter where I am.

My partner, on the same data plan as part of the same contract (though she's been on the Unlimited plan much longer than me) and is getting the speeds I used to get when I was on 160gb plan (60 to 70mbps at home, 120 to 140mbps in the city). We've done speed tests at the same time in the same places, and mine is coming up way slower.

Spoke to someone on live chat and again over the phone who took me through a script of options (turn the mobile data off and on, switch between wifi and mobile data, close any apps which may be using data etc). My data plan says it's not capped on my online account, but it comes out at dead-on 25mbps every time, so it certainly seems like it is.

Anyone had the same issue when switching plans, and were you able to resolve it?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We have a solution. Well, a reason as to why I was capped.

I had been put on a "No Frills" unlimited plan, and the person I'm conversing with now has told me that it is in fact capped at 25mbp/s.

I've had several EE employees tell me there isn't a plan capped at 25mbps, but it was clearly the case, since the speed test would start high, and then immediately drop to 25. 

Mystery solved. But still annoying how many hours I've spent on EE live chat, going through tedious troubleshooting steps. How did so many colleagues who brought up my account details not catch that?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @peaceflower4eva,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Have you tried more than one speed test app?

James

@James_B wrote:

Hi @peaceflower4eva,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Have you tried more than one speed test app?

James

Yes, I've used a few. My partner has used the same ones in the same location, the speeds are 2 or 3 times higher each time. Before the switch of data plan last week, I was getting those speeds too.

Spoke to someone again last night, and we're going to see if reverting back to the old data plan also reverts the speeds back to what they were. Not sure what else we can try if not...

James_B

Thanks for the update @peaceflower4eva

Our Technical Support Team will do everything they can to resolve this issue for you.

James

I spoke to them yesterday, twice. Went through all the troubleshooting steps, and nothing changed the issue.

It's a shame that reverting back to 160gb a month is the only course of action we can try.

I've only had this line for just over a month after switching from O2. Speeds were great on 160gb a month, so I upgraded to Unlimited, and that's immediately when the problem started. I understand the smallprint mentions anything over 600gb isn't personal use anymore, but I've checked my data usage on my phone and it's nowhere near that.

EE have assured me that my speeds aren't limited, but the way in which they immediately drop from nearly 100mbps to almost dead-on 25mpbs suggests otherwise.

James_B

Hi @peaceflower4eva,

It's a strange issue, as none of our plans are restricted to 25Mb/s. I'd recommend keeping in touch with technical support until it is resolved. 

James

What else can they do? They took me through the basic troubleshooting steps, twice, then that was it. Whenever I speak to technical support, they want to put me through to billing. Whenever I speak to billing, they want to put me through to technical support...

Christopher_G

I've sent you a private message, @peaceflower4eva. Could you have a look and get back to me please?

Thanks

Chris

peaceflower4eva
Contributor
Contributor

So I've reverted back to the 160gb plan, it's taken effect this morning, and now my speeds are what I would expect them to be.

Ideally I would like to be on an Unlimited plan, but I'm hesitant to do this again if it's going to vastly reduce the speeds available to me.

Any idea why/how this would've happened?

How much data do you use on a monthly basis? 160gb is a BIG allowance, I am on 60gb and honestly, barely use 20GB. that is daily youtube/plex for at least 1 to 1 and a half hours and music streaming from Spotify (highest quality stream) and Apple music for about an hour a day