cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed capped since switching to Unlimited data

peaceflower4eva
Contributor
Contributor

I switched to an Unlimited data plan from a 160gb plan a week or so ago, and ever since the switch, my speed is capped at about 25mbps. The Speedtest will usually connect at several times faster than that (60 to 70mbps, or around 120 to 140mbps if I'm in the city), but then immediately sinks to 25mpbs, no matter where I am.

My partner, on the same data plan as part of the same contract (though she's been on the Unlimited plan much longer than me) and is getting the speeds I used to get when I was on 160gb plan (60 to 70mbps at home, 120 to 140mbps in the city). We've done speed tests at the same time in the same places, and mine is coming up way slower.

Spoke to someone on live chat and again over the phone who took me through a script of options (turn the mobile data off and on, switch between wifi and mobile data, close any apps which may be using data etc). My data plan says it's not capped on my online account, but it comes out at dead-on 25mbps every time, so it certainly seems like it is.

Anyone had the same issue when switching plans, and were you able to resolve it?

13 REPLIES 13

Last month I used a 110gb, so not really too close to the 160gb, but the upgrade was only a few £ extra so it seemed worth it for peace of mind.

I'm using my phone's mobile data as a hotspot a lot for working from home, and also for streaming live sport at the weekend, because my home broadband is lousy (no fibre on our street) and can't handle live streaming, nor can it handle Teams/Zoom calls.

160 is probably enough really, but since the price difference between the two is so small (plus 10% comes off due to being an additional line) it'd be worth it if it worked as it should.

Ah, that makes sense for yourself then - I don't hotspot unless I have to. I did not consider that use case/situation 

We have a solution. Well, a reason as to why I was capped.

I had been put on a "No Frills" unlimited plan, and the person I'm conversing with now has told me that it is in fact capped at 25mbp/s.

I've had several EE employees tell me there isn't a plan capped at 25mbps, but it was clearly the case, since the speed test would start high, and then immediately drop to 25. 

Mystery solved. But still annoying how many hours I've spent on EE live chat, going through tedious troubleshooting steps. How did so many colleagues who brought up my account details not catch that?

chrcolk
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

There does indeed seem to be a 25mbit capped plan, its been offered to me now on my account.

I have my current 200gig plan which i think is uncapped.  But a little pricey.

A unlimited plan which says its capped at 100mbit (hence me finding this thread to research it).

A 25 gig plan which says its capped at 25mbit.

EE didnt used to do all this capping stuff, dont like it.