cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote system monitoring problems.

chrisrudge
Visitor

I install remote power systems and when required I use an EE mobile wifi device to provide internet access for the monitoring gear. In this case, it is a Victron Colour Controller.

All remote viewing functions work fine, but recently I have been unable to use a specific remote control facility to change settings. This is the main reason for the unit in place, in case I need to change settings without having to drive back to site.

Looking at the network requirements from Victron for this facility to function, it can be looking for a number of parameters that EE is no longer able to provide? Can anyone advise please as I will need to change networks and a lot of site visits in the new year otherwise. I know that 3 and O2 work fine, so clearly an EE issue... Very puzzling.

Thanks.. Chris

background info:

To have Remote Console on VRM working, your web browser and the GX device need to have a connection between them. This connection is designed such that it doesn't need any special configuration or opening up of firewalls in almost all situations. The 0.1% of situations where it doesn't work out of the box are, for example, large corporate networks with special security, or long range expensive satellite or radio supported networks, such as seen in rural areas of Africa and other remote areas.

When Remote Console on VRM is enabled, the GX device will open and maintain a connection to any of the servers pointed to by supporthosts.victronenergy.com. Which currently resolves to multiple IP addresses (84.22.108.49, 84.22.107.120, 3.25.10.245, 13.244.154.199 or 35.165.124.40, depending on where you are), and likely more in the future. The technology used is SSH, and it will try to connect using port 22, 80 and 443, only one of them needs to work. The reason for it to try all three is that on most networks at least one of them will be allowed by the local firewall.

Once connected to one of the supporthost servers, that reverse SSH tunnel is waiting to be connected from someone needing the connection. Which can be your browser, or a Victron engineer since this same technology is used for the Remote Support functionality; for more information see above.

When using Remote Console on VRM, the browser will connect to either vncrelay.victronenergy.com, or vncrelay2.victronenergy.com, using websockets on port 443. For more details of used connections by the GX device, 

2 REPLIES 2
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @chrisrudge 

Welcome to the community.

We're not able to guarantee that the SIM will work in any device not purchased from EE. We have some amazing, technically-minded contributors here in the community, hopefully someone will be along to help you with this.

Chris

MmmToast
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

My first thought was CGNAT, but it seems not to be a constraint

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/199246/can-vrm-connect-to-gx-behind-cloud-starlink-usi...

re "Recently"

Perhaps check your browser's site settings?  Recently chrome changed the default for Pop-ups and redirects to be "block" by default, and this stopped a lot of websites from working.   There are also a number of sites / config items I use that refuse to work with Chrome and I must use firefox.