cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a 5GEE Hub as a modem for a business network

jjbrennan1994
Visitor

Hi - I work for a small charity in an office for ~15-20 people. We currently have an EE 5G hub as our WAN link to the network (as BT fibre/copper is much much slower than 5G speeds we can get). However the 5G hub just stops working sometimes which we think is due to the traffic we generate across the team.

We were thinking of turning off the wi-fi connectivity so the hub acts as a modem only and installing something such as Aruba instantOn for small businesses, with Wireless AP's and separate router to take the heavy lifting away from the hub. (seems to be a standard thing for Fibre/Copper connections but can't find much on the internet about setting up downstream of a 5G connection)

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on if this would work or if there are any other solutions for us?

2 REPLIES 2
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jjbrennan1994

Welcome to the community. 

Hopefully someone here on the community can advise if this will help. Alternatively, please feel free to give our technical care team a call. 

Katie 🙂

Uberseehandel
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently made the same switch.

Make sure the IP address range being used by the 5G mobile router is not used by the existing network. If it is, change the range used by the 5G router. ( I had to change the router from 192.168.1.1 in the 192.168.1.0/24 range of addresses to 192.168.0.1 in the 192.168.0.0/24 range)

Have you gone into the router's interface and enabled "Bridge Mode", by turning off  NAT?
Then connect the Internet (WAN) port on the existing router to the LAN1 port on the EE 5G router.
You may need to restart the existing router.