cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart 5G Hub intermittently hangs?

michthom
Visitor

Hi folks

We installed a new Smart 5G Hub in December, and every few days, intermittently with no clear pattern, it completely hangs. It's dropped all service on: 21 & 26 December, 5, 7, 13 and now 17th of January.

The light on the front stays solid aqua, which the guide says means it's connected to the Internet, but the device stops responding to ping on its (default) IP address 192.168.1.1, and none of the devices in the house can reach the internet, even to perform a DNS lookup, never mind connect to websites etc. When I turn the hub off and on again (making no other change to anything in the house), everything springs back to life but there's nothing in the device logs to indicate it ever had an issue with the mobile network, and indeed while it's not working, mobile devices carry on getting a strong 5G / 4G signal.

It feels like a software issue rather than hardware, but we have the latest firmware Smart_5G_Hub_V01.07. Is this a common problem or do we perhaps have a lemon that should be reported and possibly replaced?

For info, we have disabled all of the Wifi bands (2.45, 5, 6GHz) as we are using separate access points around the house linked to a switch that's plugged into the LAN interface on the hub. We have also moved the DHCP service to another device, and disabled DHCP on the hub, so it's really only acting as a router between 5G and LAN, and firewall (though with the carrier-grade NAT in the mobile network there's no way to send traffic to it from the WAN side that I'm aware of).

I'm baffled and would appreciate any reports of similar behaviour (in which case we wait for a firmware update) or indeed people saying theirs is rock solid (in which case I'll ask for a replacement).

Cheers

Mike

1 REPLY 1
nothingaboutme0
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

The intermittent service issues with your EE Smart 5G Hub are not unique. Other users have reported similar problems, often related to the router's ability to handle multiple connections. The solid aqua light indicates a good connection, but this doesn't always mean the network is functioning correctly. It might be a firmware issue or a limitation of the router. Considering a replacement or seeking further technical support from EE could be beneficial.