cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numerous 5GEE Wifi Router problems - some patched, some ongoing.

Aetherialite
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I recently moved into an older apartment building and after having previously been a Virgin Media broadband user in my previous home, I found that unfortunately, their services weren't available for my new address. I looked around online for the best speeds and found out that EE offered the best speed for the best price and as an EE mobile customer, I decided to go to my local store and spoke to the team there about my dilemma. They confirmed the landline speeds for my new address would be in the 3-6mbps range, but suggested I instead opt for a new 5GEE Wifi Router as it instead used the mobile network rather than the landline and checked the speeds for my area. They said that I should expect speeds of up to 140mbps, which was higher than my previous package with Virgin Media and at a cheaper price too, which I immediately took them up on as it sounded too good to be true. Unfortunately, it seems to have been the case.

I set up my router as instructed, using my laptop to test it with as I'd not yet had time to set up my home computer. My initial speed was 72.6mbps download and 11.6mbps upload. Not exactly 140 I thought to myself, but it was still very good, so I had no problem with it. I then go to sleep for the night and wake up to find that my router turned on for about twenty seconds and then once it achieved connection with the internet, it'd turn itself back off. I called technical support at the time and after they attempted to troubleshoot my router, eventually deemed that the battery must be faulty and that I should take it back to my local store to have it fixed or replaced. I did just that and they found the same problem and were not able to fix it, so instead sent off for a replacement. Two days later, I'm informed my new router has arrived - I go to receive it and have them set it up and make sure it works in the store before I took it home. At home, it works fine, at roughly the same speeds as before until about six hours down the line at which point it turns off again and has the same problem. I go back to the store and they give me a different charger to try and it seemingly works fine from then onwards in terms of battery, albeit with a consistently blinking battery light.

Now, I finally get my home computer setup - I'm an avid PC gamer using discord, youtube, twitch, steam, etc - and to hopefully ensure I have the best connection possible, I used an ethernet cable. This, however, seemingly has been the worst decision I've made. My speed tests come out with 6.79mbps download and 3.27mbps upload at best - quite literally what I could have had on landline-based broadband. To make matters worse, I would randomly get ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED errors on Chrome when trying to browse, found myself unable to connect to Steam at all, and when it came to Discord I found myself with 9999 ms and a packet loss rate of 100.0%. Weirdly, I could hear others relatively fine with occasional cutouts but they couldn't hear me at all, and I could join discord screen share live streams, but couldn't do it myself too. So, I googled it and found a thread on this board by @dan-giddins which seemingly perfectly described my issue, and followed his solution which worked, enabling me to use the internet again, however with the persisting low speed and a rough ping of 50-100ms.

I decided to check my speeds again on my phone and laptop - both connected via wifi - and my laptop came back with a download speed of 21.7mbps and an upload speed of 5.81mbps while my phone came back with a download speed of 23.2 and an upload speed of 4.23. I tested discord on my laptop and found I received roughly the same ping as my desktop. So, this led me to possibly think it could be something to do with my connections being on the 2.4GHz connection over the 5GHz. The only problem is that the 5GHz only appears on my phone, and not my laptop and I have no idea how to pick which it uses on my ethernet connected computer. So once again, I googled it and it led me back here, where I was unable to find an up to date solution outside of supposedly changing the level of security. So, I gave that a shot and tried every type of security on the 5GHz - even disabling security entirely for a little bit - and nothing changed, the 5GHz wouldn't appear as a network on anything outside of my phone.

Lastly, on the admin control panel, it displays my router's connection as 1-2 bars at all times, despite being against my window. I'm also not in a rural area, I'm quite literally next door to my local EE store in the middle of my town centre, so a part of me wonders if this has anything to do with my ping and connection issues.

I know I've written a lot, so to summarise or to allow people to quickly see what issues I have and what I've done to resolve them thus far;

1. Power problems - router worked fine then kept turning off, continued after being replaced, was given a USB-C lightning adapter to increase power input to the router. Has patched the issue but the battery light is almost always blinking.
  2. Ethernet problems - unable to connect to certain online services and difficulty browsing, solved via a solution found here, however ethernet speeds are significantly lower than that of wifi when traditionally would be the other way around.
  3. Unable to connect to 5GHz - Only able to connect to 2.4GHz on my laptop, unsure of how to select between 2.4/5 on ethernet, can only connect to 5GHz on my mobile phone. Changing security to any options at all does not change this.
  4. Low connectivity - Admin control panel displays 1-2 bars despite being in the town centre and nearby local EE store. Router placed next to the window, have tried other spots, all roughly the same. Ping moderately high, or at least higher than preferred for online gaming.

I'm pretty sure that's all of my problems so far, if I'm missing any I'll reply later on if/when I encounter them again. Hope this helps others and hope I get some answers. Thank you for your time if you read this and attempt to help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Aetherialite
Investigator
Investigator

So, after an hour and a half phone call with tech support, here are the results that will hopefully help others after me.

Power problems - router worked fine then kept turning off, continued after being replaced, was given a USB-C lightning adapter to increase power input to the router. Has patched the issue but the battery light is almost always blinking.

No known reason for this, assumed that both routers I have received must have been from a faulty batch, but no large scale reported issue with this matter.

Ethernet problems - unable to connect to certain online services and difficulty browsing, solved via a solution found here, however ethernet speeds are significantly lower than that of wifi when traditionally would be the other way around.

It's assumed that some services (Discord, Steam, etc) may only use IPv4 and are not yet updated to IPv6 which is the router's preset default. Changing it to use IPv4 is the only known fix, but it may mean that if there are any services that only use IPv6, they may encounter the same problem as before but in reverse.

As for my Ethernet being worse than Wifi, we tried the same cable on my laptop as well as my PC, and after some speed tests found out that it is seemingly a mysterious problem with my home desktop instead of the router, as my laptop came back with the same speeds on wifi as ethernet. (You'd still think there would be some improvement, but regardless, having it be the same is better than it being worse.)

Unable to connect to 5GHz - Only able to connect to 2.4GHz on my laptop, unsure of how to select between 2.4/5 on ethernet, can only connect to 5GHz on my mobile phone. Changing security to any options at all does not change this.

Ethernet uses neither as the GHz frequencies are for Wifi connections only. The reason my laptop cannot connect while my phone can is seemingly due to the processors built into them, and if they're compatible with the frequencies. My laptop has a processor with a frequency of 2.20GHz, which means it's only capable of being able to receive the 2.40GHz frequency and unable to receive the 5GHz frequency.

Low connectivity - Admin control panel displays 1-2 bars despite being in the town centre and nearby local EE store. Router placed next to the window, have tried other spots, all roughly the same. Ping moderately high, or at least higher than preferred for online gaming.

The overall connection appears to be a line of sight issue with my apartment to the nearest mast, not a problem with the router. Ping is a metric not tracked at all by EE, so it's unknown why my ping is so high, but it's assumed to again be due to my location in regards to my nearest mast combined with the fact that the connection is wireless, not wired, so it's prone to fluctuation.

Likewise, we also discovered that a fix I had attempted to do but forgot to mention in my post - changing my connection to be 4G only instead of 5G in an attempt to stabilize my ping - did not in fact matter for my ping at all, and it seemingly was the same in all ping tests conducted by myself between 4G and 5G, so changing it to one over the other did not impact my ping at all. However, we did discover that my setting it to 4G over 5G did lower my overall speeds and that I went from an average of 25-30mbps on 4G to an average of 50-60mbps on 5G. So for anyone looking to solve ping problems, if you think setting it to one over the other might help you, I recommend doing ping and speed tests on both, as you may be lowering your overall speed whilst not gaining any stability in ping.

I suppose that concludes this thread, and hopefully, this helps people in the future who end up having similar problems. Thanks for your help everyone, especially @dan-giddins and the people at tech support.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
dan-giddins
Contributor
Contributor

the battery must be faulty

That's really interesting, as I have a similar issue with the battery. Sometimes it will drop down to a low % charge, even though it is permanently plugged in all the time...

I also had an issue where the WIFI settings for the access point name and password would keep resetting to default overnight every so often. Not sure if this is related to the battery maybe running out?

and followed his solution which worked, enabling me to use the internet again, however with the persisting low speed and a rough ping of 50-100ms.

What was the ping like over WIFI before you tried my force IPv4 fix?

I have no idea how to pick which it uses on my ethernet connected computer.

If you turn off all WIFI on your desktop, (or if you just don't have WIFI) it will definitely be using ethernet. WIFI and Ethernet are 2 separate ways of connecting to the hub. If you go to http://192.168.1.1/status/lan you can your Ethernet settings. http://192.168.1.1/status/wifi shows you your WIFI settings.

Looking back at my thread, I still find it so strange that forcing IPv4 fixes the ethernet connection settings, even though everything works perfectly fine on IPv6. I feel like there might be an internal software issue in the hub relating to ethernet not playing nice with a public IPv6 address, and that forcing IPv4 is just a work around to avoid this incompatibility. If I had to guess, the problem might have something to do with the fact that internal ethernet is using IPv4 and and the external IP is can be IPv6 by default, and there is some kind of translation issue? What's strange though is that WIFI is fine, and I believe that also uses an internal IPv4 address...? A software engineer at EE probably needs to review this issue.

I also had an issue where the WIFI settings for the access point name and password would keep resetting to default overnight every so often. Not sure if this is related to the battery maybe running out?

In my experience with routers, this does occur if they reset due to being turned off or being manually reset, so I'd probably bet on that being the case, honestly.

What was the ping like over WIFI before you tried my force IPv4 fix?

I honestly didn't think to test it, I didn't think it was an issue due to how fast everything was loading on my laptop and phone, but I doubt it's anything to do with your fix - moreso probably due to the 1-2 bars of signal I'm getting for whatever reason.

If you turn off all WIFI on your desktop, (or if you just don't have WIFI) it will definitely be using ethernet. WIFI and Ethernet are 2 separate ways of connecting to the hub. If you go to http://192.168.1.1/status/lanyou can your Ethernet settings. http://192.168.1.1/status/wifishows you your WIFI settings.

My PC doesn't have a Wifi adaptor or a Wifi card as I've only ever used Ethernet for minimum lag. As for going to status/lan/, it gives me some information that I don't really know what it means, but there's not anything that clearly says "2.4GHz" or "5GHz".

Looking back at my thread, I still find it so strange that forcing IPv4 fixes the ethernet connection settings, even though everything works perfectly fine on IPv6. I feel like there might be an internal software issue in the hub relating to ethernet not playing nice with a public IPv6 address, and that forcing IPv4 is just a work around to avoid this incompatibility. If I had to guess, the problem might have something to do with the fact that internal ethernet is using IPv4 and and the external IP is can be IPv6 by default, and there is some kind of translation issue? What's strange though is that WIFI is fine, and I believe that also uses an internal IPv4 address...? A software engineer at EE probably needs to review this issue.

Ideally yeah. Do the engineers look at this board at all, or? Maybe they'd be able to figure out why ethernet is worse than wifi, too.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Aetherialite,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Our technical support team will be happy to look into these issues if you get in touch.

Thanks

James

Our technical support team will be happy to look into these issues if you get in touch.

As said in the OP - I contacted the technical support team about the battery issue and they attempted to troubleshoot the problem with me at the time, however, found themselves unable to solve it. I will contact them again tomorrow in regards to the other problems and will report back here with any results, but thank you for the response.

there's not anything that clearly says "2.4GHz" or "5GHz"

Ethernet is neither '2.4GHz' or '5GHz', as these frequencies refer to the radio frequency bands used by each WIFI protocol. Ethernet does not use radio; it is a direct wired connection between two devices. As such data is encoded/decoded differently (which might explain why I only saw problems over ethernet).

Ethernet is neither '2.4GHz' or '5GHz', as these frequencies refer to the radio frequency bands used by each WIFI protocol. Ethernet does not use radio; it is a direct wired connection between two devices. As such data is encoded/decoded differently (which might explain why I only saw problems over ethernet).

Okay, so does this mean ethernet uses neither 2.4/5GHz? As in, they're purely for Wifi, and Ethernet simply doesn't use them as it's not using any frequencies, so trying to find out which my ethernet-connected PC is using is a null point?

Okay, so does this mean ethernet uses neither 2.4/5GHz? As in, they're purely for Wifi, and Ethernet simply doesn't use them as it's not using any frequencies, so trying to find out which my ethernet-connected PC is using is a null point?

Yes, that is correct!

Aetherialite
Investigator
Investigator

So, after an hour and a half phone call with tech support, here are the results that will hopefully help others after me.

Power problems - router worked fine then kept turning off, continued after being replaced, was given a USB-C lightning adapter to increase power input to the router. Has patched the issue but the battery light is almost always blinking.

No known reason for this, assumed that both routers I have received must have been from a faulty batch, but no large scale reported issue with this matter.

Ethernet problems - unable to connect to certain online services and difficulty browsing, solved via a solution found here, however ethernet speeds are significantly lower than that of wifi when traditionally would be the other way around.

It's assumed that some services (Discord, Steam, etc) may only use IPv4 and are not yet updated to IPv6 which is the router's preset default. Changing it to use IPv4 is the only known fix, but it may mean that if there are any services that only use IPv6, they may encounter the same problem as before but in reverse.

As for my Ethernet being worse than Wifi, we tried the same cable on my laptop as well as my PC, and after some speed tests found out that it is seemingly a mysterious problem with my home desktop instead of the router, as my laptop came back with the same speeds on wifi as ethernet. (You'd still think there would be some improvement, but regardless, having it be the same is better than it being worse.)

Unable to connect to 5GHz - Only able to connect to 2.4GHz on my laptop, unsure of how to select between 2.4/5 on ethernet, can only connect to 5GHz on my mobile phone. Changing security to any options at all does not change this.

Ethernet uses neither as the GHz frequencies are for Wifi connections only. The reason my laptop cannot connect while my phone can is seemingly due to the processors built into them, and if they're compatible with the frequencies. My laptop has a processor with a frequency of 2.20GHz, which means it's only capable of being able to receive the 2.40GHz frequency and unable to receive the 5GHz frequency.

Low connectivity - Admin control panel displays 1-2 bars despite being in the town centre and nearby local EE store. Router placed next to the window, have tried other spots, all roughly the same. Ping moderately high, or at least higher than preferred for online gaming.

The overall connection appears to be a line of sight issue with my apartment to the nearest mast, not a problem with the router. Ping is a metric not tracked at all by EE, so it's unknown why my ping is so high, but it's assumed to again be due to my location in regards to my nearest mast combined with the fact that the connection is wireless, not wired, so it's prone to fluctuation.

Likewise, we also discovered that a fix I had attempted to do but forgot to mention in my post - changing my connection to be 4G only instead of 5G in an attempt to stabilize my ping - did not in fact matter for my ping at all, and it seemingly was the same in all ping tests conducted by myself between 4G and 5G, so changing it to one over the other did not impact my ping at all. However, we did discover that my setting it to 4G over 5G did lower my overall speeds and that I went from an average of 25-30mbps on 4G to an average of 50-60mbps on 5G. So for anyone looking to solve ping problems, if you think setting it to one over the other might help you, I recommend doing ping and speed tests on both, as you may be lowering your overall speed whilst not gaining any stability in ping.

I suppose that concludes this thread, and hopefully, this helps people in the future who end up having similar problems. Thanks for your help everyone, especially @dan-giddins and the people at tech support.

@Aetherialite wrote:

My laptop has a processor with a frequency of 2.20GHz, which means it's only capable of being able to receive the 2.40GHz frequency and unable to receive the 5GHz frequency.

I very much doubt that statement. The frequency of the CPU has nowt to do with the frequency of the WiFi adapter in the PC. You should be looking at the spec of your WiFi adapter. You'll probably find it's only 2.4 GHz compatible. Does the lappy pick up any of the neighbours' 5 GHz SSIDS?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)