cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The now terrible 4G signal I am paying top dollar for !!

Vutti47
Investigator
Investigator

I live in a remote area of south UK with virtually no internet connection via a BT copper landline and a very poor mobile signal. 

I came to EE from another major UK mobile phone provider....they had 'throttled' my 4G signal, a fact I couldn't prove and they disputed. Although they have subsequently (it is alledged) been fined a six figure sum by OFCOM for doing exactly that.

I was recommended EE as a potential provider of a usable 4G internet service via their own router. The service they were able to provide initially was truly remakable (compared with what we had been experiencing prior to the EE connection) and regularly attained download speedsapproaching 20Mb.....(we were lucky to get 1.0Mb with the copper line telephone connection from BT).

We can quite happily survive with a reliable signal of circa 10Mb.

When opening the account, I was at apins to point out the I regarded the cost of the service as secondary to a workable and reliable wifi signal....and paid top tarriff per month for a guaranteed 'unlimited' service.

I have been very happy with the service I have recieved from EE for the first year.....and whilst not happy with the notification of the annual  increase in the monthy charge from them which I received at the end of February, was happy to continue.

However, almost at the same time, the signal strength and reliability started to fall.  The signal would be turned off during the middle of the night and the up till then the satisfactory download speed dropped like a stone to an almost unusable 3-5Mb.

When I complained, I was told that remedial work on the mast was being carried out and the signal strength would return in a week or two.

This morning I had such a poor signal that I had to try 3 times to carry out a speed test.....which showed 0.05Mb!

I have had to wait until now (16:45pm) to get a strong enough signal to write this 'e' message.

What is really frustrating is that is virtually impossible to get a straight answer from anyone that you talk to in the technical assistance department.  I am fed up with being treated as virtually a 'naughty school boy' who just needs a pat on the head and be told not to be silly.

I should point out that the EE representatives I have spoken with on the telehone have done their very best to provide me with answers to my questions....but I think that they too are kept in the dark and therfore unable to inform customers as to what exactly is happening with technical matters regarding signal strengths.

Is it possible that EE are ow the victims of their own success and the hardware is no longer capable of keeping up with the demands placed on it by an ever increasing customer base??

I am now therefore, forced to seriuosly consider taking up an account with 'Starlink', which whilst being considerably more expensive and potentially not as reliable as it soon will be, will at least  provide me with a workable signal when it is functioning properly.

But the most frustrating thing is not being able to find out firstly 'why' and secondly 'when' (if at all), the once really good EE signal has evaporated into the ether.

Finally, this message does not require a reply, unless by some miracle of fate it gets seen by a member of the EE management team, who might actually be able to proved me with an honest answer and even better....an accurate and truthful timeframe as to when I might expect to have my wonderful EE 4G signal back.....living in a remote area is wondeful....but having, then loosing a workable internet service is like having tyour right arm cut off!

A truthfull and factual answer and estimate of when I might expect the once excellent EE service to return would be most welcome (but not really expected).     

8 REPLIES 8
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Reduced coverage does not necessarily equate to reduced speeds, that is dictated by the spectrum & carriers available on your serving cell(s). So is your issue one of coverage, or speed?

Do you have an EE mobile, and is that similarly affected? Is there an issue recognised under "check status" on the online faults tool?

Thanks for taking the time to repy.

To be quite honest I I have no idea (and care less ) whether my issue is coverage or speed or both.
The problem isn't of my making....a once good signal/speed/covergae is now so bad my EE 4G wifi is to all intents and purposes unusable.

I  do not have an EE mobile phone. But having now tried three other mobile phone networks, none of them have supplied a reliable signal.
What I am looking for (apparently in vain) is any sort of answer to the issues raised in my original 'e' mail concerning the current state of the EE 4G service??

What I really don't need is the runaround with more amibuous questions that are not in any way likely to sort out my problem.

Having been told that there is quite a degree of technical work being carried out in the area (I belive the Cannon Hill mast is being worked on??) .....any sort of information from your technical people might have been helpful.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

The contributors to this forum are largely not EE staff but just other customers like yourself - but in many cases just with specific expertise or experience.

I'd recommend you take this up with CS on 150, whilst I can advise in general I don't have specific knowledge of your area.

Dodgerog
Explorer

Ok so moved on a couple of months from your comment and I have seen my EE 4G signal in both xxxx xxx and xxx xxx drop from around 50Mbs to frequently 2.5Mbs! There is constant buffering on streaming as to be unwatchable.

So despite the cost I have purchased Starnet basic domestic.  What a transformation! Average UK download speeds were purported to be 106Mbs (great if it was true) but have actually peaked at 330Mbs and regularly see 150 to 200+ Mbs Way over my expectations and latency at just 29ms. Had to reduce my Sky monthly bill to offset the £75 month Starnet bill but as we have prime and Netflix UHD streaming is now flawless. 
No idea why EE has dropped off so much but so has 3 and they both use the same towers. No chance of fibre where we are in either location.

Dodgerog_0-1686301959593.png

[Mod edit: Please do not post personal information on the public board. Thanks!]

Carol1228
Explorer

Hi

where in the south are you? We are in South west. Like you we have, until now, been pleased with the ee coverage. We have had an issue since receiving a message on 4th April to say a problem (we hadn’t experienced) was fixed. Since that time we have been unable to stream tv or watch anything without constant messages of ‘not enough bandwidth’ or low speeds that means the picture is very blurred and constant buffering. 

The staff have been very sympathetic but ultimately unable to help. The new router they sent has not improved anything and I am being told once again to submit 3 speed readings. They’ve even told me they can’t investigate unless 3 tickets are raised in the area. 

We are also having to look at star link to get anything resembling a useful service. EE say they do not guarantee us any speed but you’d hope they at least provide a service that was actually worth having. If we had it for a year, what changed? Maybe they should look to invest in areas where demand out strips the supply! 

Hi, I saw your reply my Spam folder??
Just thought that I would let you know that I finally lost patience with EE. Couldn’t get a straight answer out of anyone.....and when I saw the adverts claiming that EE and BT were “better together” ....that was the final straw. My initial problems all stemmed from BT in the first place !!

I have just received and installed ‘Starlink’.

I know....it’s expensive.....but it’s only £25.00 per month more than I was paying EE for the top of the range service I wasn’t getting !!

I have to tell you that so far ‘Starlink is absolutely fantastic.
Installation was a breeze and the ‘hook up’ with the satellites took about 10 minutes and the results are truly spectacular.

On both Iphones and Ipad my speed test results have been between 150-200Mbs and on the PC between 25-50Mbs......The lower PC level according to my brilliant aerial and tech guy, is probably due to the fact that my PC is now nearly 6 years old....and the wifi may be restricted in someway.....something I am in the process of looking into. Either way, the 25-50 Mbs download is acceptable when compared with the last speed test I did for EE with was 1.5 Mbs !!
My upload strength before was non existent....certainly below 1.0Mbs.....whereas now it ranges for 8-10Mbs....not brilliant I grant you....but hey....I can live with that !!

As I mentioned, the real downside is the monthly cost.....and I appreciate that I am in a position to be able to afford it. But I do not regret my decision for a millisecond.......it’s the best thing I have done in ages.

I wish you good luck in your quest to get better wifi.

Thank you for your reply. I had a standard response from ee saying they don’t guarantee a speed. Our Starlink has just arrived! I just couldn’t spend one more day on the phone to ee to get the same response again. 

I do have a question that you might be able to help me with. We have ordered the Starlink Ethernet connector but it’s going to take 2-4 weeks to arrive. We need to run WiFi into another building here   Have you got anything else plugged in and if so what did you use to connect it? (I am not techy at all but husband looking at other extenders which might/ might not be compatible. 

many thanks

carol 

I have to ask why you have ordered an Ethernet cable. It will limit the connections from your router (I could be wrong as I am no ‘techie’ either.)

In the States, there is no secondary Ethernet connect to to the router as XSpace think that their router is powerful enough.  I can only comment on my own experience and say that the signal we get from our router (positioned in the centre of the house at the top of the stairs on a windowsill) is good enough to provide link for PC, two iPhones, iPad and iPlayer on TV…….something we could only dream about historically.  All without Ethernet cable. 
The only other point I would make ( and my tech expert was quite adamant about this), is the positioning the ‘dish’ in the correct place is crucial. I had an existing site where the dish could be fitted in seconds…..but it was South facing and the poisoning App didn’t like it. So dish positioned on north side ( where App said good place to place) and results showed nearly clear view all round. Apart from that, I again wish you the best of luck, and like us are soon joining the rest of humanity in the 21stvcentury. 👍