cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile router and Arlo security camera issues

jwDave2
Investigator
Investigator

I have an Arlo security system with 2 smart hubs and 4 cameras. They constantly loose connection (every few minutes) and then reconnect. The issue is not with the Arlo system per se, according to EE it is most likely because the router constantly refreshes its IP address which knocks the Arlo system out. I don’t know if this is correct but it sounds plausible.

Has anyone else suffered this issue and found a solution?

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Is this really for mobile BB? Smart Hubs are for fixed Home BB.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Yes, my Arlo Smart Hubs are connected to a mobile broadband router with an EE SIM card.

Then they ain't Smart Hubs. So which BB routers are they?

The most you can do is oto temporarily disable the 5 GHz band while connecting problematic 2.4 GHz devices.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
jwDave2
Investigator
Investigator

TP-Link TL-MR6400 300 Mbps 4G Mobile Wi-Fi Router, SIM Slot Unlocked

wifi limited to 2.4 already

@jwDave2   It shouldn’t be refreshing its IP address at all or you’ll never be able to use the router as the cellular connection would be unstable.  Ie you wouldn’t be able to do anything online as it would disconnect every so often.      

@XRaySpeX   I think @jwDave2  means they have the Arlo smart hub not the EE smart router.    Arlo have a smart hub that the cameras connect too.  The Arlo smart hub connects to the 4G router. 

@jwDave2 have a look at THIS 

Thanks, to be clear the ‘SmartHubs’ are Arlo kit, they connect to my router and the cameras connect to them via it’s own wifi. It is the Arlo SmartHubs connected to my EE 4g router via Ethernet that keep going off line resulting in the cameras connected to them going off line.

I have exactly the same problem, same kit in fact. Arlo repeatedly goes offline (the internet connection not the camera connections they are fine). Interestingly mine is doing it with the arlo hub hard wired via Ethernet to the 4g router so it’s not a wifi issue. Just disconnects and some times comes back on its own, sometimes a reboot brings it back. Anyone know a possible cause or solution? Given I’ve  ruled out wifi issue.