Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with new 4gee home router

benashley
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I will be working from home soon and just got the 4gee router, £50 per month with unlimited internet.

The sales advisor tested my post code and advised this would be suitable. 

I am only receiving 16.4-20.2 mbps download and 2.65 Upload, I have my router by the window in the same room I am testing from.

A few questions please, I am not tech savvy in the slightest please bare in mind for any answers.  

1. Is this speed normal?

2. Will this be suitable for home working?

3. What is the difference between the two options I have 2.4ghz and 5ghz, currently connected to 2.4ghz but I dont understand what these options are.

Many thanks for any replies

Ben

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, what you read is correct. If you just need WiFi coverage in the same room as the router, stick to the 5 GHz band

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @benashley 

Our EE Coverage & Network Status Checker | Check your signal will show you the predicted signal strength for the area.

This post 4G/5G Router now Showing 2.4G/5G - The EE Community helps explain the difference between the settings for you. 

If you are having any problems with speeds, please get in touch with our technical support team. 

Leanne.

Thank you Leanne, those links helped me understand.

Do you in your opinion recommend I use 5ghz rather than 2.4ghz if I only require the wifi in one room? I read 5ghz provides faster speeds in a smaller area where 2.4ghz is slower speeds but bigger area coverage.

Thanks

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @benashley 

Please use the option that works best for you and the devices you have connected. 

Leanne. 

Yes, what you read is correct. If you just need WiFi coverage in the same room as the router, stick to the 5 GHz band

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)