cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE4g Home Router 3 and Sky Q

JJCrofts
Explorer

Because of their rural location, my parents were recently switched (by BT) from BT broadband to EE mobile broadband with a Home Router 3.  Speed improvement is great (was <3Mbps, now >100Mbps) but they cannot get SkyQ for anything that needs a download,  They can use other streaming services on their smart TV or laptops/tables fine, it's just Sky.

Sky engineer has been out but couldn't get to the bottom of it.  He suggested it might be the latency (theirs is 40-50ms),

Has anybody any suggestions from the EE side of how to decrease the latency?  They already have an external aerial.  

As I understand it, you can't change the DNS settings on the Home Router 3?  Is that right?

Also, a vague suggestion on the Sky forums is to set the MTU to 1492.  Is that something that can be done by us on the router?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

TBH If your getting 100mbs download it's unlikely to be an Latency issue.

My first point of call would be to dive into the Admin Settings of the Mobile Router and change 2 things in the Profile / APN Settings, check or change Authentication to PAP and change the IPV to IPV4 Only settings then reboot the Router in order to take effect.

On your MTU question don't set this any higher than 1499, even if instructed to but I don't believe the MTU is your issue. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

TBH If your getting 100mbs download it's unlikely to be an Latency issue.

My first point of call would be to dive into the Admin Settings of the Mobile Router and change 2 things in the Profile / APN Settings, check or change Authentication to PAP and change the IPV to IPV4 Only settings then reboot the Router in order to take effect.

On your MTU question don't set this any higher than 1499, even if instructed to but I don't believe the MTU is your issue. 

Thanks @EssexBoyEE, that's done the trick.  It was the IPV setting all along.  I have very happy parents now 🙂 

Thanks for your advice. We have the same problem with our SkyQ and a new 4GEE Mobile Router. How do we get into the Router settings to make your changes please?

Many thanks

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Humphrey4.

Welcome to the community.

The router homepage address should be on a sticker on the back of the router, including your login details and password.

Jon

Thanks @Jon_K 

@EssexBoyEE you were spot on. Many thanks! I had to set up a new profile, with IPV4 only and PAP authentication, and worked with Sky Q box immediately after reboot.

Really appreciate the help guys

@Humphrey4 glad it worked for you and to be of help.

You are correct it the way you have set the new Profile, in order to Edit an existing APN Profile you need to disconnect the Cellular Connection first, some LTE Routers do not allow this procedure, so a way forward is exactly what you have done, create a new Profile with the relevant settings, save, set the New Profile as Default, then Reboot. We'll done. 

Hi , 

I am having the same problem, I am on settings and can see the IP box but can’t change it in the drop down box. 
I can create a new profile but I don’t know what the 6 digit blanked out password is. 
can you help please ? 👍

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Collyminer

Is there a sticker on the back of your router?

Katie

@Collyminer : In the Profile for EE: Username = "eesecure", Pwd = "secure".

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)