cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get VOIP on EE 4G

oldisnew44
Investigator
Investigator

On Friday 18th August I ordered an Essential SIM  Unlimited Data 12 months.  It arrived on 22nd August and was installed in the router the following day.  When my daughter phoned the VOIP phone the next day I discovered that there was no two way speech.  I contacted EE 150 and was put through to Technical Support in Southern Ireland.  He said that he would "refresh the system" and call me back at 8am the following day.  But there was no call.  Instead I received a text at 12:18 midday to say that he would call before 10am in 4 days time on 29th August after the August Bank Holiday.  Again he failed to call.  By now a whole week had passed since I received the SIM card.  I tried EE 150 again and this time a member of Technical Support informed me, after checking with colleagues, that EE doesn't have a VOIP facility on EE 4G or 5G. It could only be done on a landline.  Well two years ago, when I was with EE before, EE did cater for VOIP on 4G, because I was using it.  I've now missed the 14 days for cancellation.  Any suggestions please?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
oldisnew44
Investigator
Investigator

Dear EE Community Support

I have now switched my broadband.  The provision of EE Full Fibre Max 100 was completed on Friday afternoon, 22nd September and the SIM card number for EE 4G was ceased with immediate effect.  My thanks go to a certain member of the Executive Complaints Department for accommodating this change by extending the cooling off period for me.  This discussion may now be closed.

Kind regards,

David  (oldisnew44)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @oldisnew44 

Welcome to the community.

Does the VoIP service you are calling have a UK mobile/landline number?

Chris

oldisnew44
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Christopher_G

Yes.  The VoIP phone has a landline number.   I've kept the same number for 30 - 40years from the days of STD on Strowger.

Kind Regards,

David

Christopher_G

It sounds like it may not be compatible with the mobile network, @oldisnew44 

Chris

Hi Chris,

I can't understand why.  The same VoIP number was ported on 2nd March 2020 and used on the router for the EE 4G broadband until 15th September 2021.  What has changed?

David

BlairCH
Visitor

I have also been using an EE SIM card to run my router and recently tried to add a VoiP phone to it but couldn't get it to work consistently.  After 3 weeks of trying to find where the fault was, I've just phoned EE and been told their network currently doesn't support VoiP.  Apparently most other mobile networks do support it but we're now locked into a 3 year contract.  All very unhelpful.  Given that more and more people are going to be swtiching to VoiP I can only hope EE change their policy. 

Good Afternoon BlairCH

I've consulted the company that set up the 4G outside aerial and router for 4G broadband and VoIP in 2020 and it informs me that all 4G broadband suppliers are going to gradually cease providing VoIP as their masts are upgraded.  Today EE have kindly permitted me to switch to EE Full Fibre Max 100 outside the 14days cooling off period, since a week went by before I was informed by Technical Support that EE didn't cater for VoIP on 4G.  So I hope that the VoIP phone can be used then.

David

oldisnew44
Investigator
Investigator

Dear EE Community Support

I have now switched my broadband.  The provision of EE Full Fibre Max 100 was completed on Friday afternoon, 22nd September and the SIM card number for EE 4G was ceased with immediate effect.  My thanks go to a certain member of the Executive Complaints Department for accommodating this change by extending the cooling off period for me.  This discussion may now be closed.

Kind regards,

David  (oldisnew44)

Christopher_G

Thanks for letting us know, @oldisnew44 🙂

Chris