cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5gEE mobile router with another provider

DazzaH66
Explorer

Hi team,

Can I use the 5gEE mobile router (QTAD52E) with another non-EE SIM? If does anyone who unlock the router bein dedicated to EE?

25 REPLIES 25
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Depends how old the Router is, its a Sierra Wireless 5G Module so there is a good chance it may already be unlocked but there are no guarantees, best bet is to slap another Network Providers Sim into it and see if its askes for an Unlock or Sim Network Unlock Code.

If it is Locked you best bet is to contact EE Customer Services and see what options you have to Unlock the Device, if do able a small fee maybe charged.

Note, if this is a EE Branded 5G Router, it will have EE Firmware Installed, so even in an Unlocked state it may not support other Network Carriers Bands or perform in the same way as the  Original Manfacturers Unlocked Specification(s) . 

DazzaH66
Explorer

Thanks for the tips and just to confirm it’s the EE branded device type.

any ideas how the firmware could be updated to allow other SIMs?

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

If it is locked, you may be able to request the unlock of the device through our customer service team, @DazzaH66 

Chris

johnynguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, can you help me how to unlock the band? I'm using ee abroad but can't use 5g. Thanks

Leanne_T

Hi @johnynguyen 

Do you want to unlock the device to use another network SIM card or set up roaming? 

Leanne.

I can use the sim but my bandwidth is limited. I want to open it up so I can use all the frequency bands of the device. thanks

The developer has restricted the bands and I cannot use the 5G bands,Thank you for your feedback

Leanne_T

Thanks @johnynguyen 

Are you currently using the EE SIM?

Can you connect to data using the EE SIM? 

Does the roaming network have 5G available? 

Leanne.

The developer has restricted the bands and I cannot use the 5G bands,Thank you for your feedback

Re above, do you mean to use 5G as in 4G+5G or use the 5Ghz WiFi Band?

Which Router are you using?