cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4GEE Broadband and wifi calling

TheGreenFrog
Investigator
Investigator

I have just installed 4GEE broadband in my house, using a Huawei B818-263 router.  It is a replacement for an airband service which was not relaible.  All is working fine apart from wifi calling.  EE is the only mobile signal available from my house.  I have an EE SIM in my mobile phone and the phone works perfectly well, although I cannot tell whether the phone is using the EE phone signal or wifi calling.  My wife has a Vodaphone SIM - there is no Vodaphone signal but with our previous systen that did not matter as she used wifi calling.  However now she cannot make or receive mobile calls or texts from her phone which means wifi calling is not working.

I have seen a previous post implying that wifi calling on 4GEE broadband only works for EE phones but it is not clear and the post is quite old.  I suppose the alternative is that wifi calling does not work on 4GEE signal at all.  Any advice gratefullt received.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The problem has finally been sorted (thanks to the forumites at ispreview).    Summary as follows as it is apparently a known issue with EE:

1) I used 4 SIMS and two different routers (EE smart hub and Huawei B818) to track the problem.  The problem was not router related.  The problem occurred with two different consumer sims from EE (one of which came with the EE smart hub).  It did not occur with a business sim from EE and it did not occur with a consumer sim from Vodaphone.

2) The problem with the consumer sims is fixed by changing the APN settings on the modem/router so as to exclude IPv6.  EE (consumer) sims apparently have a known issue with IPv6 and this was causing certain devices on my network to not recognise the internet connection (specifically all Amazon products - which I was not aware of when I initially posted - and iPhones attempting wifi calling).  Limiting the modem/router to IPv4 fixed the problem. 

3) EE tech support (two different technicians) had no idea how to fix the issue.  It is surprising and disappointing that a well known issue (albeit well known in limited circles) seems completely unknown by EE and its technical support. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TheGreenFrog,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Is WiFi Calling still activated in your Wife's phone settings?

Is the phone successfully connected to the 4GEE router?

James

Hello and thanks for responding:  yes to both.  In fact even on my EE mobile phone, when I turn the phone to flight mode but switch on the wifi (which in theory should force wifi calling) and then try to call I get a message telling me to connect to a wifi network or disable flight mode even though I am connected to wifi and can happily make Whatsapp calls (which does not involve wifi calling).  this leads me to think that wifi calling does not work at all via a 4GEE broadband network.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TheGreenFrog,

I'd recommend getting in touch on 150 so our technical support team can take a look at this for you.

They'll be happy to help. 🙂

James

The problem has finally been sorted (thanks to the forumites at ispreview).    Summary as follows as it is apparently a known issue with EE:

1) I used 4 SIMS and two different routers (EE smart hub and Huawei B818) to track the problem.  The problem was not router related.  The problem occurred with two different consumer sims from EE (one of which came with the EE smart hub).  It did not occur with a business sim from EE and it did not occur with a consumer sim from Vodaphone.

2) The problem with the consumer sims is fixed by changing the APN settings on the modem/router so as to exclude IPv6.  EE (consumer) sims apparently have a known issue with IPv6 and this was causing certain devices on my network to not recognise the internet connection (specifically all Amazon products - which I was not aware of when I initially posted - and iPhones attempting wifi calling).  Limiting the modem/router to IPv4 fixed the problem. 

3) EE tech support (two different technicians) had no idea how to fix the issue.  It is surprising and disappointing that a well known issue (albeit well known in limited circles) seems completely unknown by EE and its technical support.