cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trade in for upgrade doesn't apply

merago
Investigator
Investigator

I've been trying to add a trade in to an upgrade (for. Samsung Galaxy S23), but regardless of which plan I choose, I get as far as selecting my trade in device and then get a message stating a discount has already been applied - I can't see which discount it is and I'm not PERK, friends and family member or anything along those lines.  Can't see from the T's and C's quite what I'm missing but I'm clearly missing something as it happens both in the app and on the website.  If I don't log in and treat it as a new contract, I can add trade in regardless of the plan type chosen.

If trade ins aren't available for upgrading users, why is mention of them plastered all over the page (and, indeed, on the top of the boxes for some of the plans)?

16 REPLIES 16
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @merago

Welcome to the EE Community. 

When you are at checkout you should be able to see a breakdown of the plan on your right hand side. This will show any discounts which have been applied. 

Please let me know if no discounts show. 

Speak soon, 

Katie 

I can see a discount - but it doesn't say what the discount is for.  I would imagine it's the standard money off the plan - but, ALL the plans have money off (I assume it's an upgrade thing) and even then - I would get a bigger discount by trading in so why can't I remove the discount I don't have a choice about?  I think something is not quite right here - I'm being offered a trade in, but it works for none of the plans.  Even if I don't actually select a plan - I get told a discount has been applied.  Wouldn't be so bad but the blurb at at the top of the PLANS actually say that you can save an extra £14 on top of the plan with trade-in.

It all smacks of false advertising, but I get the feeling something has been setup wrong - either, I shouldn't be getting offered a discounted plan that.expkicitly mentions trading in too for more off (which then definitely would be false advertising), or I actually should be able to get the trade-in advertised but something isnt working.

Katie_B

Hello @merago

I am sorry to hear this. 

Please give us a call on 150 and our customer care team can remove this discount for you and help with your trade in. 

Katie 🙂

It's ok - the discount plus trade-in (as advertised) was what attracted me to the offer in the first place.  Due to the offer being blatantly untrue, I'm better off buying direct from Samsung using their trade-in, or potentially moving provider and getting the free Buds Pro 2 elsewhere.

Katie_B

Hello @merago

I have sent you a private message for more details. 

Katie

coadhall
Investigator
Investigator

I have noticed this as well, not working to the rules so have passed onto trading standards as EE are advertising an offer that cannot be claimed, and not displaying the original unremovable discount on their website, other than to say price has been reduced, but not that it has been discounted against any other offers.

jomac1985
Investigator
Investigator

I am getting the exact same thing, it says everywhere on the website that you can get a discount plus trade in, but when I try and add the trade in it says it's not eligible with a discount! In terms of consumer regs this is definitely false advertising - even worse if it has been advertised this way for the last month as per the original post date. Please could someone advise if this is an error and how it can be sorted, after being a loyal EE customer for 12 years. Have attached screenshots where it clearly shows the trade in should be allowed following the discount. This is showing on various phones but I was particularly looking at the S23 or Z flip 4 

Screenshot_20230322-194701_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230322-194119_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230322-194540_Chrome.jpg

Meant to also attach the actual error message too, see below 

Screenshot_20230322-194515_Chrome.jpg

Christopher_G

Welcome to the community, @jomac1985 

Which discount do you already have?

Chris