cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Chat help.

nox900
Investigator
Investigator

First thing to do is cancel your direct debit or other payment method. Contacting EE is a complete pain in the rear end. I sat on the phone for ten minutes just now, listening to their irritating music and then gave up.

They don't provide an email because it would be too easy for people to cancel. It has nothing to do with it not being efficient. They want you to phone them so they can try and talk you into staying. It is a very common trick that many companies like EE use. 

The main point is, they want you to pay for something you don't want. Imagine how many customers get billed an extra month because they can't easily cancel the service. They make a fortune out of it. That is the only reason there is no customer service email address. 

And where is this Live Chat? I have never seen it. Never trust a company that makes it difficult for you to contact them or cancel a service.

8 REPLIES 8
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @nox900 

Thanks for coming here. 

I am sorry to cancel the contract, you would need to call us and let us know. If you can try calling again when you get the chance our mobile guides will be happy to help. 

Full details can be found in our How Do I Cancel My Contract with EE? Help page. 

Leanne.

nox900
Investigator
Investigator

I think you are missing the point. There are loads of people who do not want to "have" to phone EE or any other company to cancel an account. We know it is a simple ploy to try and retain customers. We are not stupid. If EE wanted to make it simple to cancel they would have a cancel option in people's online account page. 

What happens if for some reason a person cannot phone EE? What if they simply do not want to phone? Why are we being forced into a situation where you will only let people cancel an account by phone? I don't trust cancelling by phone. I have no virtual paper trail of what has been said and agreed. Too many times in the past I have agreed something with a company by phone only to be told later that they have no record of it. I won't be doing that again.

I have already informed EE customer service via Twitter that I wish to cancel when my contract ends on the 18th April. And of course, they said they could not help and I would have to phone, so what is the point of your customer service via social media?

My contract ends on the 18th. My direct debit is now cancelled. I will not be using EE after that date. If you want to keep providing a service I am not using that is entirely up to you. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@nox900 : Yeah, you just cancel your DD & have debt collectors chasing for months on end, cuz cancelling your DD does not wipe out your contract or your indebtedness.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@nox900 : As stated above, you may also cancel by letter.

Having cancelled your DD yourself, EE will not be providing you with a mobile service but instead with a debt collecting service!

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

That's funny. Do you think I care about a debt collection service? I used to work for one. I know what they can and cannot do and they will be wasting their time on this one. 

And here is the main point. Why are we arguing about how to cancel a contract that has ended? Why am I even having to do anything at all? Why does my contract, which was 24 months, suddenly turn into yet another contract, all be it monthly, that I do not want? If we are being honest and clear here, the whole thing is a huge scam to rip people off. 

IF EE really want to help people cancel, they would make sure the phones are answered when a customer calls. Why do I have to waste MY time chasing them.

Bottom line. It's my money, and I will do what I like with it.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @nox900

If you don't cancel the contract you’ll move on to a 30-day rolling plan, you're contract would not be renewed. 

Our What Happens at the End of My Plan? Help page. has more information. 

Leanne.

@nox900 : It doesn't change into a diff contract but it's the same contract at a diff stage of its life.

These mobile contracts don't just end, just the min. term expires. They are not fixed term contracts. After the min. term they just carry on at the same price on a rolling 30-days' notice basis until you explicitly cancel, upgrade or port your no. away.

@nox900 wrote:

Do you think I care about a debt collection service? I used to work for one. I know what they can and cannot do and they will be wasting their time on this one. 

That may be so. Defaults showing on credit files are another consequence, which can cause issues with future lending for many years.

A recorded delivery letter is a simple means of giving cancellation notice if you'd rather not call, and provides a paper trail which evidences your notice, should there be any discrepancies later.

The natural consequence of service provision contracts being fixed-term would be automatic disconnection at the pertinent date. That would have implications for every affected user, compared with the current status quo where some misunderstandings are the worst outcome.