cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis sold a contract in EE store.

BRM1917
Explorer

I went into an EE store and was told I could upgrade to a SIM only deal (which I wanted) and the cost of £19PCM (which I chose). I was advised that this would start on the 02.03.2024. I then have a signed contract confirming the T&C's of the new deal, the date the order was placed AND confirmation of the contract start date. You can imagine my surprise today when I received a bill for £80.23!! 

I contacted EE, assuming that they would be able to remedy this mistake for me however, I was clearly mistaken. I spoke to at least 4-5 different people, all having to "check with their manager" and was told that the contract I signed was incorrect. After further questioning, they did actually confirm that they have a copy of this contract and can see it was signed on the 02.03.2024 and even confirmed that the start date of said contact starts on the 02.03.2024 however, they cannot honor this and it would actually come into effect from the 10.04.2024. They advised I had been misinformed however, there is nothing they can do even though I and EE have proof of a contract that I signed on the 02.03.2024 confirming the new SIM only deal with themselves. 

Has this become common practice with phone companies now? I have been with EE for 12 years and I am astonished at the level of customer service that has been offered. When I advised that I wish to raise a complaint to have this matter looked into and resolved, I was advised my "Feedback" would be given to the store in question to ensure this doesn't happen again. After explaining that I am not providing feedback and I am wishing to raise a formal complaint, I received a text to say that this has been resolved and close! Is this how EE treats customers? Luckily, I have the funds available to cover the cost until this matter is resolved and I am reimbursed however, what if I did not? How would I be treated then! No doubt like some petty theft criminal with strongly worded letters appearing on my doorstep! 

Does anyone have any advise on how I can go about raising this further? I was thinking maybe the Communications Commissioner as this is surely a breach of Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations? Breach of contract? Any help would be welcomed. 

3 REPLIES 3
infinitywaiter
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You have 14 days grace to cancel your contract, so as you state 'would actually come into effect from the 10.04.2024', then in principle you should be able to return it, read here for more info:

https://ee.co.uk/help/orders/how-to-return-a-product-bought-within-the-last-14-days

Also, read the Returns Form PDF here:

https://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/e-gain.s3.amazonaws.com/external/content/EE/Website%20Returns%2...

You are also in your right to have already complained, if not already done so go through EE Complaints and keep a full record of it all, along with all your evidence like you have mentioned with the signed forms proof, etc.

The same as BT, EE have to provide you a satisfactory result within eight weeks, if you are not happy with the outcome or they don't give you a resolution in that time, then you can go to a higher level.

You should proceed to complain to the Communications Ombudsman here - https://www.commsombudsman.org/

How long you have been with a company doesn't mean anything nowadays unfortunately.

I have been with BT for many, many years and now EE for mobile too, however and like many other BT/EE customers here, you still get overlooked for new customers with certain things, just like EE are doing right now with the 1.6gbs broadband service, where it is purely being aimed at new customers only and those existing customers wishing to upgrade are simply being denied access to it, or they have to struggle calling EE multiple times until they finally get an operator who knows about the new service or is actually willing to put them onto the service.

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.

@BRM1917  you don’t have 14 days to cancel this contract as it was taken out in store. You don’t get a calling off period with store sales o( ie change of mind ) but you’ve not explained why this contract has not started on the date that you say it should’ve started and it won’t start until the 10th that would be very helpful..     if you’re changing from a full device contract to a Sim only contract, you have to see out the full term of your device contract before that Sim only contract will start.   If you’ve upgraded early and you’re not within your upgrade period and you wanted it to start as soon as possible then you’ll have to pay off the remaining term of your contract.  You can not just upgrade and not pay what your owe on an existing contract unless you’re within your upgrade period.   

@infinitywaiter , you are wrong, as the OP went to a store, and so there is no 14 day cooling off period. It has always been this way, there is if you order online or by phone, then there is the cooling off period, get your facts right.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.