cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE is harassing me with bills after the contract ended

sdwEF
Contributor
Contributor

My contract ended after 2 years. In order to make it doesn't continue (as I left the country and also told EE about it) I spent hours on the phone with EE - to call at the exact day they told me to "cancel" the contract. This is already problematic that they don't let you cancel in any other way, also I had to call several times because apparently there is only one possible day in entire 2 years of the duration of the contract, that I can cancel. Honestly don't recommend anyone signing up with EE. The EE customer service the (after hours of trying to reach them, as of course you cannot do it in person in the store nor any other way) assured me that this is all done now, and my contract will end as I requested. I asked him 10 times to make surei if there is no other hook, and he said all is well and that I will be disconnected and done. Unfortunately, EE keeps on harassing me with sending bills and emails and letters - how do you stop them doing so? Did anyone took legal action EE for harassment/ illegal billing? I also worry they will affect my credit score. After I did everything I did to not continue the contract - which in itself is already super problematic, plus they they say one thing when I talk on the phone, and another thing sending me new bills - this is a true nightmare and if you are reading this and considering signing up with EE, honestly DON'T

16 REPLIES 16
sdwEF
Contributor
Contributor

My contract ended after 2 years. In order to make it doesn't continue (as I left the country and also told EE about it) I spent hours on the phone with EE - to call at the exact day they told me to "cancel" the contract. This is already problematic that they don't let you cancel in any other way, also I had to call several times because apparently there is only one possible day in entire 2 years of the duration of the contract, that I can cancel. Honestly don't recommend anyone signing up with EE. The EE customer service the (after hours of trying to reach them, as of course you cannot do it in person in the store nor any other way) assured me that this is all done now, and my contract will end as I requested. I asked him 10 times to make surei if there is no other hook, and he said all is well and that I will be disconnected and done. Unfortunately, EE keeps on harassing me with sending bills and emails and letters - how do you stop them doing so? Did anyone took legal action EE for harassment/ illegal billing? I also worry they will affect my credit score. After I did everything I did to not continue the contract - which in itself is already super problematic, plus they they say one thing when I talk on the phone, and another thing sending me new bills - this is a true nightmare and if you are reading this and considering signing up with EE, honestly DON'T

sdwEF
Contributor
Contributor

sdwEF
Contributor
Contributor

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @sdwEF 

When did you cancel this?

You'll get a final bill after you've cancelled and then you won't pay anything further.

Did you pay by direct debit? If so, did you cancel it before the final bill?

Jon

Thanks for your reply.  It was a few months ago, so I don't remember when exactly, but in the last month of my contract. When I called EE they told me the exact date on which I was to call (again) and cancel it. It was around one month or two weeks or something like that, before the planned end of the contract. Yes I was paying with direct debit and after that last payment I cancelled the direct debit and threw my sim card away. But they still keep on sending me bills which is the problem, because I really don't want to spend another hour of my life to call them to say I cancelled, because I did that already a few times to arrange the whole cancellation - which as I say was anyway the end of my contract and nothing extraordinary. I just want them to stop sending me bills as if I didn't cancel because I did and I already wasted so much time on doing so. 

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Hey @sdwEF 

So I completely get your frustration at this situation but you need to see this through to resolution because it does sound like you're impacted by this situation. 

Firstly, it sounds like your EE contract wasn't cancelled when you originally called in to request cancellation. You need to raise a complaint as they'll have a recording of that call and that will allow them to put things right. 

It sounds like as your line wasn't disconnected when you expected it to. You've continued to get bills which you've not paid. This means there will be an impact on your credit score. 

It now sounds like you've got someone after the event to cancel your line. So if you call your UK number, it should be disconnected. 

But as the account has disconnected later than you wanted it to. You're liable for the bills which is why they're writing to you. It's not harassment, it's policy. 

So get this logged as a complaint and get this case managed to resolution. Don't ignore it as it'll only cause further impact to your credit score. 

Good luck, hope you get this sorted quickly

Thanks for your comment. But as I wrote already above - I DID cancel it, it is a fact, it was done and confirmed. Just because it was on the phone - which is the only possible way EE allows you to do so - doesn't mean anyone can just change the facts? It just looks like on purpose, they only let you do this on the phone, so you have no record. The EE customer service said that it's going be cancelled when the contract ends, and it's done, and I have nothing else to do. So billing me after is them braking the policy, not me.  So I am not liable for the bills, perhaps the person working there who said they gonna cancel yet they didn't. I would be happy if they look into their records to check that, but as far as I researched there is no way to raise complaints, unless of course I spent at leats an hour trying to reach them - even then - how can I take for granted anything I will be told on the phone? As I already said, what they say via the EE phone contact had no  zero effect in real life, so calling now is not going to change anything either. Also, I didnt call once, I already called like 4 times before the end of the contract, to make sure its gonna be cancelled. 

That is why I am posting here, because honestly there is no way of contacting them, I am not going to call again to be again told the same, and then to be billed again. I did nothing wrong, my contract was ending, I called a few times to make sure its going to REALLY end, I payed all bills always on time. I also called on their chosen date that they asked me to, so that I have no extra cancelling fees. The EE customer service person told me its done. There must be a law that what they say on the phone is legally binding? otherwise they should create a different way customer can cancel, if the call doesnt mean anything, even if it was done correctly, and on time. And I am even a young person. I can't imagine how this type of customer service could wokr for someone elderly or sick, honestly this is the worst experience with a company I had in my life.

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Hi there,

Contact them through social media and ask them to raise a complaint for you. 

I understand your frustration and I'm not trying to annoy you with my response. It's just a case of, it sounds like (wrongly) at the moment, they are chasing you for unpaid bills. This will impact your credit score.

That's the only reason I'm saying pursue this and get a resolve. As this is impacting you. 

If you're not worried about your UK credit score (not sure if you've moved abroad for good) then fine. If you are, then get that complaint raised. Get them to fix this for you and put everything to how it should have been in the first place.