cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet compatible digital phone service

nowifiemf
Investigator
Investigator

hi, will the new digital phone service be able to run via ethernet cables with wifi switched off?

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@nowifiemf   That will depend on what phone you get.  Some will be wired to the router ie a base station and have a wireless phone just like phones you get now or even a wire to the phone, so you’ll not have to use Wi-Fi with both of these options.  

nowifiemf
Investigator
Investigator

Hey, thats great because the reason I am with EE is because they have routers with ethernet cable ports with the option to disable the wifi. I will stay with EE, as long as the digital phones can be wired to the router or landline without emitting emfs

@nowifiemf   So your concern is about EMF.   So you don’t have a TV ? Microwave? an oven ?    Fridge?  Everything electronic in your home emits a EMF including the device you are using to post on here. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

It won't be run over Ethernet but from a special DV port on the router into which you plug your VoIP base station or a VoIP adapter connecting wirelessly to your standard handsets.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
does that mean the digital phone and router will emit the gigahertt range?
nowifiemf
Investigator
Investigator

will people be forced to upgrade and have a router that cant switch off the wifi ,, or can etnernet cables be used for the digital phones?

Forget Ethernet & WiFi in conjunction with DV. It does not use them. The  router has a built-in DECT base station, just like your cordless phone system. The DV port on the router is just like an ordinary analogue phone socket to take your ordinary analogue handset or, if you like, your own DECT base station.

The DECT technology used is completely unlike the WiFi technology used in routers & associated devices, that you seem fixated on.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
i do have concerns , hopefully theres an option not to use the DECT and stay with the EE router I have, it wont affect business? read this i found Cordless phones: the unspoken DECT hazard at home and at work from the national research-based TETRA Airwave safety campaign (tetrawatch.net)<>