cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband problems

rugsu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've got part of my problem sorted out by openreach/ee broadband phone helpline, but I'm going to post from the begining of my issues, as there are ongoing problems.

Last Friday, my broadband was coming and going, sometimes connecting and sometimes not, and then when i tried to use the phone, there was no dial tone, and anyone phoning me says the line was busy.

I asked EE on twitter for help, they referred me to the EE phone helpline, and I phoned them on Monday. After a few hours, I realized I had lost the internet completely, and couldn't connect at all.

Tuesday morning, I tried the internet, and it did connect, but was too slow to load pictures, and most websites.
Tuesday lunchtime, I tried the phone and got a dial tone, so that is back.

Right now, I've made a test phone-call, and it seems OK, but the internet is no better.

Is there anything I can do to test or diagnose this? The bb phone helpline did say to wait till the weekend to call back, but I'm worried they've fixed the phone and don't realize there's still a problem?

16 REPLIES 16
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Is it the BB as a whole dropping or just the WiFi connections? Do Ethernet connected devices stay working? What colours are the light sequence when it happens?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.
  • For other routers: login to it according to the label on it as the admin user & navigate looking for its router/connection statistics.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
rugsu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

DSL STATUS

STATUS

Configured CurrentLine StatusLink TypeOperation Mode
--UP
--Interleaved Path
AutomaticG.992.5 (ADSL2+)

DATA RATE INFORMATION

UpstreamDownstream
444 (Kbps)
283 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION

Operation Data Upstream DownstreamNoise MarginLine Attenuation
24.1 (dB)8.6 (dB)
19.6 (dB)34.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End IndicatorOutput PowerFast Path FEC CorrectionInterleaved Path FEC CorrectionFast Path CRC ErrorInterleaved Path CRC ErrorLoss Of Signal DefectFast Path HEC Error STRInterleaved Path HEC ErrorError Seconds
10.1 (dBm)0.0 (dBm)
----
----
----

STATISTICS

Received DataTransmitted Data
13004 (Kbits)
3599 (Kbits)

System Uptime is: 00:06:14

rugsu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Telephone Number  on Exchange WANDSWORTH is served by Cabinet 33
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) rugsu_0-1698233105404.gif
VDSL Range B (Impacted) rugsu_1-1698233105420.gif
G.fast Range A (Clean) rugsu_2-1698233105422.gif
G.fast Range B (Impacted) rugsu_3-1698233105425.gif
8079201974UnavailableAvailable--
8079201974UnavailableAvailable--
----------Unavailable----
----------Unavailable----
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Upto 1000Upto 220--Available1 Stage
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8.5Available--
Up to 7.5Up to 16.5 to 8.5Available--
Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available--
2----Available--
2----Available--
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8.5Available--
Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8.0Available--
Up to 2----Available--
Observed Speeds ADSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2023-10-23
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
11-10-2023
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
Y
N

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

rugsu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

>>Is it the BB as a whole dropping or just the WiFi connections? Do Ethernet connected devices stay working?

I'm sorry, I don't know.

>>What colours are the light sequence when it happens?

They're all green, the first two steady, the third is flashing, the fourth is steady.

rugsu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't think I have any ethernet connected devices. All I've got that connects to the net is a laptop, and a mobile, both by wireless.

That is extremely slow. You should be getting about 12 Meg down.

Locate the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (QLT), dial 17070 Opt 2, preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Reboot the router & plug it into the test socket. Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
rugsu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't have an ethernet cable to hand, and won't have time to locate where I've put the box today, but here's the test without cable.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1698233690793405155

OK, don't worry about the speedtest. Just do the QLT from the test socket.

rugsu
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

There is one extension cord and socket, so I unplugged that. 

The master socket faceplate is split, so I unscrewed it and did the following tests with the test socket. There aren't any wires on the back of the faceplate.

I did the quiet line test, my corded phone i would say was quiet, maybe the faintest hiss? My cordless phone had a more noticeable hiss.

I plugged in the router in the test socket, and did these tests again... no, if anything my internet was worse.

DSL STATUS
This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Fibre/Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.
STATUS
Configured Current
Line Status -- UP
Link Type -- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 444 (Kbps)
Downstream 283 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 31.7 (dB) 21.8 (dB)
Line Attenuation 22.6 (dB) 38.5 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.9 (dBm) 0.0 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction -- --
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 0
Fast Path CRC Error -- --