cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go to find my router settings, please?

Patricia55
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've just received an EE smartrouter yesterday afternoon, and have set it up okay, but I need to update some of the settings for Wi-Fi and security, etc. Can anyone tell me how I can go about finding this elusive "My Router" settings/control page? I've already tried the ee.co.uk/smartrouter link, but it just took me into a type of comments section. Many thanks, Pat.

33 REPLIES 33

Why should EE know anything about TT routers? They're not well known or specced.

EE may not even know you came from TT as it's OR that does the switch.

Not allowing separation of the WiFi bands is considered the modern WTG (altho' I don't agree with it).

I don't think it is correct to say the the EE router is inferior to TT's. All ISP routers are built down to a cost & will be weak on functionality & performance. If you are so keen on the router you should be looking to buy a generic router from a proper router manufacturer.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Patricia55
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Whilst discussing the deal on the phone with EE, I told them that I was currently with TalkTalk. They should have asked me what specifications my router currently gave me, in order to provide me with the same standard I was already paying the same price for. I was assured by EE that my new package with them would be as good as what I already had with TalkTalk, but that's not the case, and the EE router is unquestionably inferior to TT's because it doesn't function anywhere near as well as what I previously had.

As for Openreach, EE could easily have passed on the necessary information when the order was made on 15/08/23.

"If you are so keen on the router you should be looking to buy a generic router from a proper router manufacturer."
The router is the hub of the whole system and, because I'm not a technical geek, I rely on providers like TalkTalk and EE to supply me with what I need, as well as keep their promises of giving me what I'm paying for. It's not a matter of my being "keen" about a router, it's a matter of my need for one, so I think that's a bit unkind of you to say that.

I wouldn't need to be here if EE had given me the same standard of quality I already had, and which they promised me, before changing over to their service.

I do appreciate this helpful forum, where I can get help and also learn from my experiences. However, I don't expect or appreciate it if someone puts me down or dismisses me when I'm trying to find assistance. I'll never be as knowledgeable as yourself or Mustrum, so any help that's offered by experts like yourselves is always very welcome. Thank you.

Anybody who hasn't actually used these routers but just going by what can be gleaned from their specs would say these routers are equivalent.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@Patricia55    the bean counters don't want to spend their beans, the tech teams keep inventing new toys with faster speeds and more functions, customers are keen to get more toys and speeds but for the same price or less - alas all these things and more are not compatible.

I had not realised EE had changed the help pages recently, they used to be more helpful, similar the older EE routers were better than the latest ones. None of my routers use HTTPS to access the management systems - I guess the thinking is you would need physical access to get to it so save a bit of code and beans, and better to make sure you can't get to it via the internet.

In recent years things like phones/tablets/laptops/PC's have 2.4 and 5Ghz WiFi and will switch bands and choose the best speeds depending on distance from the router all automatically - alas older camera's and even older iPhones don't like the combined bands - but once you get round that it should work fine.

When speaking to the agents, they would have been comparing your speeds and tech specs to be the same or better than TT - alas they would have had no clue on how you use the internet or what you connect - and no doubt after 10 years with TT you would have known everything you needed to know about them - so now you are trying to do all the things you did in the ten years in a few days - so understandably it might take a wee while and there may be some hiccups along the way.

HTH

Which Wi-fi Router and Extender Review rates the EE router quite a bit higher than the TT router.

Patricia55
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Without actually using something, particularly such as a router, I wouldn't rely on the technical specifications alone to make judgement of its capabilities. There's always a chance of finding the hidden rules, if you know where to look for them, and those can vary according to any specific device. However, this particular one is beyond my own limited capabilities.

Thanks again for the MAC Address Lookup link, as I'll certainly check it out when I find the time. Take care, Pat.

Agreed, but that would be all CS had to go on, if at all, in your discussions with them when you believed  EE should have replaced your TalkTalk router with an equivalent of their own.

Patricia55
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You're right about that, Mustrum. Ten and twenty blackbirds comes to mind.

Yes, the word "progress" seems to be more like regression these days, so whenever I see "Special offers" I avoid them like the plague that they are.

Through your kind instructions, I've managed to find how to disable the 5GHz, but I haven't done it yet as I'm always very wary about doing anything until I feel certain and confident enough that I'm doing the right thing. I guess that's one of the few bonuses of old age.....taking your time, because you've had years of learning how easy it is to make a mistake.

Indeed, hiccups are to be expected when delving into something new and unknown, so I don't expect to cover my ten years of acquired knowledge (minimal) into a few days work on this quirky little challenge. I must admit, though, that I hadn't expected such a hurdle to arise, because I ignorantly thought that "modern" technology would have simplified the implementation of such processes. Silly me for putting too much trust into the king in his counting house.

So, I hope it'll be a wee while before I get back here to annoy everyone. Meanwhile, take care, and many thanks. Pat

Patricia55
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Which is not a reliable source for ratings of anything, and should always be taken with a good pinch of salt.

Thanks anyway. Pat

@Patricia55   the EE routers are pretty robust, and not much you could do to break them. So as long as you make the adjustments to Wi-Fi whilst ethernet connected, you can always easily change them back.

Better still, just insert a pin in the little hole at the back and hold for 30 secs or more, and by the time you have made a cuppa you will be back to standard settings and normality!

As for the MAC addresses, I have not responded, I used to keep detailed records of certain things, still do with some stuff, but have come to realise I don;t need that detail, I do know what is connected to my routers, so these days just investigate any new devices - usualy kids/guests phones and so on, so nothing to worry/check too much about. The fing app can help and make checking easier than the router info.