Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade EE 900Mbps to EE 1.6Gbps

BarryMcKelvey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I’m currently on the EE 900Mbps Package, with 12 months of my contract left.

I’d spoke to EE Broadband Customer Service earlier, about upgrading to the EE 1.6Gbps Package. It’s available at my home.

I was told that I was an EE Legacy Broadband Customer, and that I can’t be upgraded to the EE 1.6Gbps Package. I was also told that only new customers to EE can get the EE 1.6Gbps Package.

Apparently the system won’t allow EE Legacy Broadband Customers upgrade. EE are working on it, but don’t know when, EE Legacy Broadband Customers can upgrade to the EE 1.6Gbps Package.

Is the information I’ve been told accurate? If yes, I find it very frustrating.

Thanks in Advance

Barry 🙂

15 REPLIES 15
infinitywaiter
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You only have to do a quick search through this EE forum and you'll find plenty of previous posts about this, including from myself!

Go from BT 900 and you simply get put on EE 900 and yet pay for the 1.6gb service. 

You would expect those already on EE 900 would simply just be able to upgrade, however even that is a struggle too.

Openreach have been trialling both their 1.2gb and 1.8gb service, which EE push as their 1.6gb service, since last year.

It was still in pilot testing this year until recently and now Openreach have released it, so you'll have other providers pushing it to from April onwards.

EE were the only ones pushing this new package from last year even whilst it was in Openreach pilot testing, and many people rushed to get it and got stuck paying for the 1.6gbs service despite only being able to get the 900 service speeds, and then they were told to simply wait until EE could upgrade them to it.

You'll find many posts online from October last year onwards with people complaining about that.

Even now it is still only aimed towards the new customers, so you can only but try upgrading  by calling up directly and seeing if you can upgrade.

It's the same with moving from BT Digital Voice to EE Digital Home Phone, even though they are both the exact same thing.

You can't order EE Broadband and Digital Home Phone at same time due to their ongoing issues.

Apparently we've been told on previous upgrade attempts that we can't even get EE Digital Home Phone, even though we've been on BT Digital Voice since trials in 2019!

So yes, all you can do is call directly and see if you can upgrade to it, but even then it's a good chance it'll be a no for now, unless you get a good person on the end of the line.

I would definitely advise not to try chancing it as a new customer order either, for starters you run the risk of getting a bill if still in contract, go through them directly as BT to EE and it's waived, or in your case a simple EE upgrade should be free as you're agreeing to a new 24 month contract etc.

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.
timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@BarryMcKelvey 

Everything @infinitywaiter states is perfectly true, All I can add is you being lucky enough to speak to the correct person when you ring up, most haven't a clue on the switchboard helpline.!!

I was on the BT 900 / 110 package for three years before I rang EE and ordered the 1.6Gb package and was accepted with no problems or delays.

Yes others have had issues but as stated it's a case of being lucky enough to speak with the right person IMO.

I had some speed issues for the first couple of weeks with the supplied EE Smart hub but once I purchased a new "High End" tp-Link router my speeds and service has been exceptional with no down time at all.

Keep trying Barry.

Speedtest from this morning Sunday 31st March 2024

Ookla Speedtest EE 1.6Gb Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle #smartphone #backflipsfordays #call (youtube...

fast.com.jpg

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.

When you upgraded it  fryto 1.8 gb did they have to replace the modem that goes into the wall ? Because they told me they have to replaced it from my current one and I Have the BB 900

NW_Saint
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi,

To be honest, I don’t see the real gain of moving from 900 to 1.6. I’ve read plenty of posts where there have been issues trying to move onto 1.6.

900 for me and my gaming family is more than enough. Just my thoughts. 

pyrotenax
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

No issues here with the 1.6Gbps service. The speed upgrade is nice.

timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@pyrotenax 

Same here mate, yes we could easily manage with our previous 900 / 110 BT package but I'm now paying less per month (combined with my mobile deal) than I was before  when my broadband contract was with BT and paying EE separate for my mobile.

And the extra speed I count as free is always nice.

iPhone 15 Pro Max WiFi from the router.😎

Check this out. 

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.
BarryMcKelvey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

To those of you that have successfully upgraded to/or have EE 1.6 Gbps Broadband, which mesh/router are you using?

Thanks in Advance 

Barry 🙂

Hi @BarryMcKelvey I into the UniFi ecosystem , I have a UDM SE as part of my rack in my office

Rack.jpg

pyrotenax
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@timprocter Same boat as I am in regarding the price for mobile & internet ..... winner winner 😎