cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped from 80mb down / 20mb up to 67mb and 15mb down

monitorcurve
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I've reset the router, done a factory reset all to no avail, anyone else experience such a speed drop recently? It was around the time when EE rolled out a new router firmware update. 25% drop in upload speed is crazy!

That's the speed it's syncing at in the router page (Was getting 80/20 at the beginning months ago, and also 80/20 when on BT)This is what is on the EE account page:

"Your guaranteed speeds:
65-75 Mbps

Download speed range

17-19 Mbps

Upload speed range"

Nothing new internally has been added or changed.

Using the Smart Hub Plus EE router

10 REPLIES 10
monitorcurve
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Spoke to EE on the phone and fobbed off with "because you're getting more than your guaranteed speed there's nothing wrong" despite a 25% drop in upload speed, and they didn't see any issue with that, despite it being 20mbit for multiple years using the BT HomeHub and then moving to the EE Smart Hub for months it was 20mbit, and only recently has it dropped.

Qube engineer (whose only function seems to just be able to turn a router off and on and perform factory resets of said routers) said it was absolutely fine because the guaranteed minimum speed was being hit, even though there's suddenly a 25% drop in upload speed which they claimed was absolutely fine?!?! Next step OpenReach engineer hopefully, as there has been no explanation of a sudden upload speed drop - I am using the sync speed on the route page for these readings.

Having a 25% drop in upload speed for no reason seems bizarre as it has been 20mbit for months and now suddenly syncing at 14mbit and nothing internally has changed.

@monitorcurve   how are you testing WiFi or via ethernet?

Do you still have the BT router, if so have you tried that again to see if it makes a difference?

I assume you are connected via an FTTC service via your phone line - if so is the line quiet - dial 17070 option 2?

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.
  • For other routers: login to it according to the label on it as the admin user & navigate looking for its router/connection statistics.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
monitorcurve
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I am going by the sync speed shown in the router. Testing via a mix of WiFI and Ethernet, if the sync speed shown on the router admin page is 15mbit, that's all I'm going to get when doing a speed test wired or wireless.

No noise on the line

The old BT router was sent back months ago.

This is the router admin page showing the current sync speed:

hub.png

monitorcurve
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

1. Router technical log:

router-full.png

2. Wired speedtest:
speed-test - Copy.png

3. As you can see from the cabinet screenshot it has hit 80/20mbit, and that is what I should be getting, as I was getting that before.

cabinet.png

Anything else I can provide?

@monitorcurve   I think you may missunderstand the BTW DSL check figures - they are an estimate not an absolute guide as to what you may get.

Your sync speeds a little lower than the estimates, and your speed test is as expected for your sync speeds.

You could try connecting your router to the test socket, revealed when taking the front cover off the master socket to see if your speeds are better.

Or wait to see if DLM has any margin to increase your speeds.

Other than that, as your speeds are well above handback speeds there is not much else to be gained at this stage.

monitorcurve
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

But for more than 2 years with BT the BT homehub was syncing at 80mbit/20mbit, and when switching over to EE-BT merger whatever last November 2023 (now using EE smart hub) it was syncing at 78/19.8~ so give or take the same speed pretty much, and now in the last 2 weeks it has dropped the upload sync speed by 25%, I don't understand this, as nothing internally has changed.

Not possible to check the test socket at the moment, as the connection is being used, but will try and test that directly later on.

@monitorcurve  do you still have a phone? If so is the line quiet, dial 17070 opinion 2?

Lines can deteriate over time, any noise will reduce sync speeds.

It may also be that the BT Router has a more efficient modem than the new EE one - which one is it by the way?

monitorcurve
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just did a quiet line check, and no noise can be heard on the line.

The new EE router is the Smart Hub 3 (SH31b)