cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub Plus - DNS and DHCP

Salt11
Visitor

I am considering switching to EE Broadband (Full Fibre 150) but before doing wanted to check the features of the Smart Hub Plus.  I have spoken to EE but "the technical department can't answer your question" so hoping someone here can help.

Firstly, I believe EE do not allow users to change the DNS servers.  Is that correct?

Is it possible to disable the DHCP server within the router?

By way of background I run PiHole / Unbound as a local ad blocking DNS server so want all devices on my network to use this.  If I cannot change the DNS to point to my PiHole server then disabling the DHCP server (and running my own) will give me back this control - this is what I currently do with my BT Home Hub.

8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Salt11    Yes you can change DNS with EE.

Not sure if you will get the Smart Hub plus at that speed though, or if you can switch off DHCP, but you could carry on using your BT Hub.

Stuart-H
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Salt11 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

This a great question and one that others may search for in the future. 

I want to ensure we get a good answer to cover all points for you. I've sent you a private message asking for some more details if that's ok with you. It will be really helpful.

Thanks

Stuart

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Salt11 wrote:

Firstly, I believe EE do not allow users to change the DNS servers.  Is that correct?

Whilst I think this is possible with the majority of EE hubs, it's not currently an option within the Smart Hub Plus GUI.

Is it possible to disable the DHCP server within the router?

Yes.

By way of background I run PiHole / Unbound as a local ad blocking DNS server so want all devices on my network to use this.  If I cannot change the DNS to point to my PiHole server then disabling the DHCP server (and running my own) will give me back this control - this is what I currently do with my BT Home Hub.

I use the Smart Hub Plus in exactly the same setup. Pihole/Unbound with Pihole looking after DHCP. The only frustration I've encounted is the fact that the DHCP server re-enables itself after a firmware upgrade. I understand that this will be fixed at some point but it's one to keep an eye on if you make the switch.

I have update my DNS settings to OpenDNS and saved them (auto DNS Servers is now off), however when restarting my router, the broadband still shows the defaults (that can't be edited). When going back to my network IPV4configuration screen, I see my DNS settings are still saved as I wanted. 

I have been upgraded to Full Fibre 150 but I wanted openDNS settings which I can't put back in (regardless of what I update in IPV4 configuration). Can I use my previous router instead?

@conormahony : Which EE router do you have? You posted in 2 threads; this 1 about the EE Smart Router which allows the DNS to be changed & the other about the EE Smart Hub Plus which doesn't.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I was upgraded to the faster hence the confusion. I was able to used the dynamic dns settings and create an account  in openDnS. 

I still think it's silly to expose the dns settings when they were just ignored in the smart hub plus.  

Yes, @conormahony , now you've been switched from a legacy BB Smart Hub to a New EE BB Smart Hub Plus you can no longer set your own DNS settings or select a DDNS.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)