cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub 3 and Smart Wifi Discs

JamesBlonde
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I upgraded my EE fibre broadband from 500mbps to the 1gbps just before Christmas, which resulted in an upgrade of my router to the Smart Hub 3  (SH31B). 

When I agreed to take the upgrade, I specifically asked about compatibility with my 2 Smart Wifi Discs which I've got dotted about the house - we've got a listed property with thick walls, so these cover the dead spots.   I was told that the Smart Wifi Discs were compatible, but might not work until my service was fully enabled.  However I've not been able to configure them since the service was enabled.  I get that they're Wifi 5, so technically "old tech" but they're perfectly good enough for my needs, and they're compatible - I've been told so!

I phoned EE yesterday, and was told to call a specific technical helpline - Called today and turned out to be a BT tech helpline.  Whilst they did try, they weren't able to help, but did confirm that the smart discs were compatible, and confirmed that the way to reconfigure to the new SSID was to connect to the new smart hub with an ethernet cable, and hit the WPS buttons on both the hub and the disc.  Which is what I'd been trying without success.  they suggested doing a factory reset as well, which I tried, but that also didn't work.  They did try to pass me to an EE Guide, which was initially refused by the EE agent, but they transferred me directly which I think surprised the EE Guide, but they did also confirmed that the Smart Disc should be compatible, however they were unwilling to provide any support to help me connect them.  Don't know why.  

So.... anyone know how to connect the Smart Discs to the Smart Hub 3 to extend / boost my wifi?

The Guide did "very helpfully" pass me to the sales team to try to sell me the Wifi 6 version of what I've already got, for the sum of £5 a month (rather than the one-off fee I paid for the smart discs).  Given that I feel a bit cheated that EE won't support the existing hardware they already sold me, despite repeatedly telling me it was compatible, I'm also not really inclined to move to a subscription rather than a one-off payment.  I'd probably be more inclined to buy a third party Wifi 6 Mesh kit.  Anyone got any suggestions?

and.... what is going on here with EE?  It's the first time I've ever had a seemingly deliberately obstructive / unsupportive support guide, which has got me a bit concerned.  I've been worried about the BTification of EE since the merger - I swore off BT many years ago.  But to find the BT agents more helpful than the EE agent is a first.  Genuinely confused! 

19 REPLIES 19

@FCM75  It’s a perfect analogy your assumption is based on the fact it was sold by EE to you.     And you do seem to understand that as you stated  TP link and Asus.   It’s only a badge on the product that doesn’t mean all EE badged products are compatible with each other.

Erm, it was sold by EE to me - that’s the point. If Apple sold you a watch that didn’t work with your iPhone, you’d be understandably aggrieved.

It’s bad business- it’s bad marketing and it’s poor customer care. 
 It has an Ee badge on it therefore they are responsible for its compatibility or lack of.. 
Oem product lines are not a dark art, and there are basic business /marketing /sales playbooks that would have flagged this as a situation to be avoided. Let’s face it, it would be easy to avoid. EE chose not to.

moreover, they told me it would work.

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

It was sold to You by EE, at the moment, when OLD EE Broadband was a thing...

They MOST likely WILL BE compatible with EE Smart Hub (a device which is provided for broadband up to 500 Mbps speed), whilst this is essentially the same device, as BT Smart Hub 2 (just at another enclosure), and there might be original confusion from EE Guides...

Unfortunately, the new EE Smart Hub Plus (2023) SH31B it's a different device, and it looks, as if it's not compatible with some older devices, even if they bear the BT or EE logos on them.

I was able to hook up the "Hybrid Connect" device (originally working with my BT SH2 on FF900) to it with no trouble (even the Guides told me, it would be "not possible", but, as expected, I was unable to make working original BLACK mesh disks which was working with BT SH2 just fine, whilst they are not compatible at all.

Thanks Gosforth.

I did originally acquire the white disc 2 years ago during the dark ages of old  we broadband. I did ask when I did the deal if it would work and was told yes. That’s my first issue.
My second issue is that the specification/product team would have faced a decision on whether to make the new hub backward compatible with product that’s only 2-4 years old. They decided not to or overlooked it. Not great either way. 

I will live, I’ve sorted it with an Argos purchase. The thing is there are many people who will be in the same boat. Many of whom don’t have any technical knowledge. I certainly am at amateur level, but I can only imagine how perplexed my parents or in laws would be if they were in the same situation.

I have neither the time nor inclination to spend a half day trying to make the disc work messing around with settings. I’ll flog it on eBay and lesson learned - lower my expectations!

appreciate the info  and reply 👍🏼

JamesBlonde
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The fact that EE told both of us that these disks would be compatible when we upgraded to a more expensive service is the issue here.  

The fact they don't work is a side issue that is an extremely annoying and financially inconveniencing, however I guess we've both been forced to work around it by buying third party products.  That work.  In my case, Deco XE75s that also now replace my modem.   

However EE sold us a service with the explicit promise that something we had already purchased through EE would work.  They don't.  And they don't seem in the slightest bit sorry and have no way to complain.  They also tried twice to sell me the Total WiFi subscription service, or whatever they're calling it.  Once for £5 a month and then for £10 a month.  Which is it?     

Suddenly the EE that I used to like is acting more like the BT I swore I'd never use again when they ripped me off.  

llewxaM2791
Explorer

Hi,

I am facing the exact same problem this week. I have escalated as a complaint, as without working extenders we are unable to work from home. When I agreed to switch, the question of extenders wasn't even discussed so I have told them to go and listen to the call and get back to me. If they don't agree to add them for free I will go to the disconnection team as we have 3 mobile phones with them too - I'm pretty sure they will sort it. If not, what did you end up buying as I will do the same but get them to cover the costs. 

Literally in the exact same position and have spent 2 days trying to sort a sensible solution. 

we have (old) smart WiFi currently with 6 discs necessary to give the connectivity around our stone built house. 

I rang ee to recontract our broadband on the same service level but told I have to move to their new “system”- still the same FTTC provision to the house. I can have the smart WiFi on the new service, if I pay for it monthly and they will only provide me 3 discs, meaning I have to buy another 3 at £100 each. 

they refuse to move our 3 mobile phones onto a matched deal to the unlimited data and calls for £10 sim only available to broadband customers on the “new” service. 

Been with EE since day 1 and rapidly looking at other options. Which ever way I go I’m looking at splashing out for a mesh system having wasted several hundreds of pounds on stuff EE decided not to make back compatible! 

I pushed and got our 3 mobile contracts reduced to £10 each (one was £23) so despite it costing £10 more a month for the extenders,  I’m £13 better off. I’ve 2 discs at the moment. Keep pushing until someone who knows what they are doing sorts it. The guy I spoke to, Pete, said he’s been there ages and overrode what someone previously said they couldn’t do. 

Thanks for the advice, I might raise a complaint and see how that works. I don’t want to leave EE but they are forcing my hand. 

dchecksfield
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My backward and forward with EE has proven pointless.  They best they will offer is to charge me more than the competitors with a 24 month tie in to smart wifi and a maximum of 3 wifi discs.  I think im in the place of moving to a different provider for faster service and paying for a mesh network myself which i then own and can repurpose.