cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower speeds with ethernet cable than WiFi

chronic17
Contributor
Contributor

I have fibre plus broadband but I'm only getting about 13-16Mbps download on my PC with an ethernet cable but yet getting 60+Mbps on my phone with WiFi, any fixes to make my ethernet/PC speeds faster?

18 REPLIES 18
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try both a wired & a wireless speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@chronic17  Do you know the specs of the Network Interface Card on your PC, also CPU specs?

Lots of possibilities to your problem, but knowing the spec of the NIC and its connection speeds would be somewhere to look, plus the ethernet cable, and that it is a direct connection and not through powerline plugs.

I'm not sure about my Network Interface Card but my CPU is a Intel i9-9900kf if that is any help

Your actual BB speeds are v. good but the speedtests are atrocious.

Locate the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (QLT), dial 17070 Opt 2, preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Reboot the router & plug it into the test socket. Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

My router is already plugged into the test socket with an extension because the master socket hasn't had a faceplate on it for years now, I just tried the quiet line test and there was no noise so I don't think that there's any issue there 

Any NIC is capable of handling 80 Meg.

The fact you are getting good broadband and Wi-Fi speeds suggest a problem with the ethernet connection. The cable is the easiest thing to change, confirming you are not using Homeplugs would be good, and trying another port, then another ethernet device and/or router would be next things to test.

OP's WiFi speed is as bad as Ethernet speed.