Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speeds when connecting router via Powerline adapter

haszaidi
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I normally get about 35Mb download speeds and 8Mb upload speeds. This is similar for devices connected via network cable to the router directly or Wifi.

But when I connect a device via a Powerline adapter I get similar download speeds (around 30Mb) but upload speeds go down to about 0.5Mb, no matter how close I put the Powerline adapter to the router. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Regards, Hasan

5 REPLIES 5
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @haszaidi

Welcome to the community. 

Which router are you using? 

Have you tried another powerline adapter to see if the same happens? 

Leanne 🙂

I haven't tried a different Powerline but I checked using our garden office which is wired to the house and that shows the same problem. So my feeling is there might be some throttling happening for uploads if network cabling is connected indirectly to the router. Is that a possibility?

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @haszaidi.

Are you able to try a different adapter at some point?

This would help to narrow down the cause of the problem.

Jon

Strangely, I tried a different Powerline adapter which can provide wired or wireless connectivity and connecting via wired gives same slow upload speeds but using the Wifi network gives good upload speeds.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

I'm not sure why this is happening to be honest, @haszaidi. From my experience, you tend to get a better connection using the wire.

Have you spoken to our broadband technical support team?

Chris