Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Router for Smart Hub Plus on 1.6G Service

iceman10
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Would be interested in your recommendations for a replacement router for my Smart Hub Plus. Just been moved over to the new top 1.6G full fat fibre service, engineer came out and upgraded ONT. Speedtests to PC showing speeds maxing at 1 gig. I have 2.5G cards to put into my PC and NAS and 2.5G switches to add across my network. Just want to make sure I buy the best router that will give me the full 1.6G speeds to my PC / NAS etc. 

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

What are your other requirements outside of a wired connection? Equivilent Wi-Fi capability to the Smart Hub Plus? Better? Do you need additional access points, or will a single unit suffice?

I've used an Asus ET12 before which does the trick, however it's unlikely to be the cheapest option, has limited 2.5GbE ports, and may be overkill depending on what your Wi-Fi requirements are.

iceman10
Investigator
Investigator

Wifi needs are pretty standard to phones and tablets. I'm an old skool 'love my ethernet' type of guy, so PC, xbox, NAS, TV all hard wired.

I have already purchased a few 2.5G switches, so just need a 2.5G WAN in and 2.5G LAN out.

That router looks a beast, never thought routers would ever look that good.

I'm not opposed to spending that money if it is a solid performer and will give me 2.5G connections from modem through to PC / NAS maxing out my 1.6G connection. 

iceman10
Investigator
Investigator

Would this router also work? - Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 ?

@iceman10  that router only has two 2.5Gb ports, so one for the WAN, and only one LAN, others are 1Gb and WiFi is WiFi6.

You might need to dig a bit deeper in your pockets!

It could be worth a look at other 1.6Gb posts, others have imported routers from USA.

/O Ports

RJ45 for 2.5 Gigabits BaseT for WAN/LAN x 1, RJ45 for 2.5 Gigabits BaseT for LAN x 1, RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT for LAN x 4, USB 3.2 Gen 1 x 1, USB 2.0 x 1

miggle
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@iceman10 I plumped for the Asus Rog Rapture AXE 16000, it's a little overkill with a 2.5gbe Wan Socket, plus 2X 10gbe sockets as well as additional options to use a dual wan with an alternative internet provider should your main link go down - but my computer has a 10gbe network socket, and my whole home is wired for that.

It's been 5 months and so far no issues.

All depends on your budget, there are still faster routers out there.

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@iceman10 wrote:

Would this router also work? - Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 ?

It would. I looked at it myself before deciding on the ET12. It doesn't have 6GHz, but sounds like that may not necessarily be a problem for you. There's an XT12 that looks the same as the ET12 but has an extra 5GHz radio, rather than 6GHz. The XT12 also allows you to run custom Merlin firmware which is a plus for those that like to tinker.

Subjective, but the ET12 is probably the most eye catching router I've ever used. I had it wired to a Windows desktop PC via a 2.5GbE switch and it rarely stuggled to hit ~1.6Gbps.

Using a Asus ROG Rapture AXE 16000, 1.2Gbps over Wifi and see on average 1.7Gbps wired (have seen spikes of 2Gbps)