cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Transfer of Broadband from old EE to new EE

MaureenJ23
Contributor
Contributor

I moved to new EE/BT for fibre and kept same BT Guardian landline and number.   All worked well until yesterday.  Now only get 'engaged' tone when trying to use landline.  Still receive incoming calls.  Line into house has been checked and is OK. Have used link supplied by EE text message.  Unplugged power from modem, reset modem, unplugged power and phone connection to smarthub.  Constant green light on smarthub. So how do I fix this? My package includes 700 mins/month.

20 REPLIES 20
Cotswolds17
Investigator
Investigator

I have just changed from landline to digital so may be of some help. I presume you have pressed the WPS button on the router-this should connect the phone.  

Excuse my ignorance, what is a WPS and router? (I'm a senior).  Is router the modem?  I can receive calls so assume phone is connected.

The router is the box you received from EE that you use to connect your devices. either by WiFi or by Ethernet cable, to the Broadband. It often contains a modem but as you're on New EE Full Fibre BB the modem is the ONT box on the interior of an outside wall that you connect the router to by Ethernet cable.

WPS = WiFi Protected Setup is a semi-auto push button method of connecting devices by WiFi to the router. There will be buttons marked WPS on both the device & the router that you push to connect them, obviating the need for knowing the WiFi  network name & its password.

You for your part could please tell me what a "BT Guardian landline" is? Is it a particular model of home phone handset or is a specific type of landline?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I switched off the router (fixed to wall) so have now pressed all available buttons on devices and still my landline has a permanent engaged tone.  We get incoming calls and voice messages left.  I now believe there is a problem with transferring me from my old package on to the new one so will contact EE direct.  A BT Guardian phone was purchased as we were fed up of receiving cold calls.  Only those numbers that are stored on the phone can get through, otherwise they have to answer themselves and we can accept or not.  We can then block that number if necessary.  Thanks for your help in trying to identify the problem I have.

The router isn't the box fixed to the wall. That's the ONT modem. The router is the box sent to you by EE that is the only box connected by cable to the ONT. All your devices, including your Guardian phone, are connected to the router either by WiFi or by cable.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
MaureenJ23
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting fed up with this.  I only transferred to EE/BT mid January and already I have been without my landline for nine days during this period. (1st 5 days sorted with new smarthub).  One day I attributed to work being undertaken with 1571 giving the option to have a long ring before message box kicks in.  Then on 29 Feb. at 10am my call list showed I had a call at 5pm that night.  So again I thought the continuous engaged tone was an update for the leap year BUT three days later I still can only get calls in.  Again I have removed power plugs, switched off router, synchronised smart hub and router to no avail. Just what is the problem?

@MaureenJ23 wrote:

synchronised smart hub and router to no avail.

So as to be clear in understanding what you are talking about:

• The Smart Hub Plus is the router.
  • The box fixed to the wall is the ONT modem.

Now I'm getting confused, yes the modem is fitted to the wall.  Didn't know the smarthub was the router.  So what is the larger black box I have? I have been pressing for 6 seconds the button on the side of this black box and then pressing button on the side of the smarthub.  Green light is showing.

Can you post an image of this black box & of the Smart Hub?